Sunny Names for Boys and Girls Perfect for Your Little Beach Baby
Are you about to welcome a new baby into your life this summer? If so, beachy baby names are totally necessary. Not only are names influenced by the sand and sun hip, but they also have an easy-breezy quality about them that will have you feeling the beach vibes all year long.
And beach babe names don't all have to be borrowed from famous surf bums (though naming your kid after one of The Beach Boys is pretty stinkin' cute) — we've compiled a list of names that include words from other languages that capture the spirit of the sea too.
From our favorite surf rockers to elements of beach locations themselves, there is no shortage of inspiration.
Beachy baby names for boys
- Al: Al Jardine, member of The Beach Boys
- Blondie: Blondie Chaplin, former member of The Beach Boys
- Brian: Brian Wilson, member of The Beach Boys
- Bruce: Bruce Johnston, member of The Beach Boys
- Carl: Carl Wilson, former member of The Beach Boys
- David: David Marks, member of The Beach Boys
- Dennis: Dennis Wilson, former member of The Beach Boys
- Dylan: This Welsh name means “son of the sea”
- Estes: Might come from a Latin word meaning “tide”
- Hurley: Meaning “sea tide,” this name has Irish roots
- Irving: An Old English name, this means “sea friend”
- Jordan: This Hebrew name means “down flowing”
- Kai: A Hawaiian name, this means “the sea”
- Lachlan: This Gaelic name means “from the land of lakes”
- Lincoln: This Old English name means “lake colony”
- Mike: Mike Love, member of The Beach Boys
- Neptune: Roman god of the sea
- Ricky: Ricky Fataar, former member of The Beach Boys
- Ripley: This name has a cool beachy sound to it
- Seton: This Old English name means “sea settlement”
- Zale: This cool Greek name means “sea strength”
Beachy baby names for girls
- Ceira: This is the name of a river in Portugal
- Cordula: A Welsh name, this means “sea jewel”
- Darya: This is a Persian word than means “the sea”
- Dylana: This Welsh name means “born from waves”
- Eleri: This is the name of a Welsh river
- Halimeda: Meaning “the sea,” this name has Greek roots
- Irvette: This Old English name means “sea friend”
- Kailani: A Hawaiian name, this means “sea and sky”
- Leith: A Scottish name, this means “broad river”
- Mairin: An Irish name, this means “star of the sea”
- Marilla: This name means “shining sea”
- Meriel: This pretty Gaelic name means “sea nymph”
- Nerine: A Greek name, this also means “sea nymph”
- Neva: This is the name of a river in Russia
- Ondine: A Latin name, this means “little wave”
- Shaila: Meaning “river,” this name has Hindi roots
- Ula: This Scandinavian name means “gem of the sea"
- Vanora: Meaning “white wave,” this name has Old Welsh origins
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.
Originally published July 2013. Updated April 2017.