Seriously: This banana split is so wholesome you can eat it for breakfast, although it also makes a great snack to share.
You might not guess by looking at it, but this banana split is actually good for you. Just swap out sugar-laden ice cream with rich, creamy Greek yogurt and add nutritious toppings like nuts, fresh fruit and granola. It’s essentially a bowl of yogurt with your favorite add-ins, but with a creative presentation to get your child’s morning off to a fun start. It’s also perfect for sharing as an afternoon snack. Oh, and don’t forget a few sprinkles and the cherry on top!
Healthy banana split
Serves 1 to 2
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 1 ounce bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (optional)
- Other optional toppings: nuts, fresh fruit, shredded coconut, granola, jam and (of course) a cherry on top
- Peel the banana and cut it in half lengthwise. Place on a plate or in a long bowl. Use an ice cream scoop to top the banana with three scoops of Greek yogurt. Add any other toppings you’d like.
- Use a double boiler to melt the chocolate, or place the chocolate in a small bowl and microwave in 30-second increments until melted. Drizzle over the banana split and serve.