Thinly sliced apples sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked in the oven become a sweet, healthy snack.
Baked apple crisps
Crispy apple slices get a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar in this healthy snack that is fun to make at home and great for packing in lunches. These apple “chips” can be made in a dehydrator or in the oven.
- 2 Golden Delicious apples (see note)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Place a cooling rack on top of a large baking sheet. (If you do not have a cooling rack that will fit, you can bake the chips directly on a parchment-lined baking sheet, but they will take a bit longer to become crisp.)
- Slice the apples as thinly as possible, using a mandolin or sharp knife. Arrange the apple slices on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer, with none of the slices overlapping.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the apple slices. Bake until the apples turn golden brown, about one hour. Remove the apple slices from the oven and flip them over. Return the pan to the oven and reduce the heat to 200 degrees F. Continue baking until the apple slices shrivel and turn golden brown on the other side, about one hour more. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the apples to cool at room temperature. (They will not be crisp as soon as they come out of the oven, but will crisp up as they cool.)
Any type of apple will work in this recipe, but Golden Delicious crisp up more dependably than other varieties.