You would never guess that this banana-chocolate milkshake is actually good for you.
Healthy banana-chocolate milkshake
Using low-fat vanilla yogurt that is chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes makes this healthy banana-chocolate milkshake a close match to its higher-fat counterpart.
- 1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt (see note)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 piece (1 ounce) milk or dark chocolate, roughly chopped (optional)
- 30 minutes before making the milkshake, put the yogurt in the freezer to chill.
- Combine the chilled yogurt, banana, cocoa powder and milk in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into two glasses and top with chopped chocolate. Serve immediately.
It is not necessary to freeze the yogurt before making the shake, but the nearly-frozen texture of the yogurt works in place of ice cream in this healthier version. Freezing the yogurt for 30 minutes goes a long way to make this version taste and look just like the original.