On nights you’d rather watch something subtly sexy than a full-on porn flick, try out one of these expert-recommended films for some erotic inspiration.
It’s been a long day, but you’d still like to end it on a high note — and by “on a high note,” we mean “with some satisfying sex.” And if you’d prefer to watch a mainstream (read: not X-rated) flick to set the mood with your partner, that’s perfectly okay.
“Watching a hot movie together can help bring back the romance, especially when it’s not officially ‘porn,'” says dating coach Marni Battista, of Dating with Dignity. “The arousal period builds during the course of a two-hour flick, and because there is typically more sensuality versus sex, it can remind a woman to unleash her inner vixen.”
Breaking out of the rut of roommate, parenting partner or just being the girl with whom he eats popcorn and watches a regular movie invites you both to step into sexy and seductive mode. “Plus, movies are a busy woman’s savior. It doesn’t take a boatload of energy to select a film on Hulu Plus or Netflix Instant or slide a disc into the DVD player.
“Think of a sexy movie as foreplay; it’s taking you away from your busy day and putting you back into your (tingly) body,” says relationship and sexual health expert Trina Read, author of Till Sex Do Us Part: Make Your Married Sex Irresistible. “While you’re watching it together, there’s a building up of anticipation that at the end — or even in the middle — of the movie, you’re probably going to get something going together. There’s also an opportunity to see other things you can try in the bedroom and, best of all, discuss those new ideas in a casual setting.”
Expert picks for mainstream movies to turn you on
- Ghost — There’s a reason we still talk about that pottery scene. Plus, Demi rocks a man’s button-down like it’s her job. Steal the look!
- Eyes Wide Shut — “Freakishly Fifty Shades of Grey circa 1990s!” says Battista.
- Wild Orchid — Mmmm, ’80s Mickey Rourke…
- 40 Days and 40 Nights — Josh Hartnett gives up sex for Lent. It’s amazing what one can do with one’s clothes on…
- Y Tu Mama Tambien — The threesome scene, featuring an older woman and two very young studs, is taboo and oh so sexy.
- Secretary — “Look for this hot scene: The first time James Spader spanks Maggie Gyllenhaal, she has an orgasm from the spanking,” says Read.
- Closer — “Although there are no sex scenes, this movie will make viewers tingle,” says Read. “Watch for Natalie Portman, as a stripper with a crazy white wig, spreading her legs to give Clive Owen a private dance.”
- Cruel Intentions — One: Ryan Phillippe naked, enough said. Two: That swimming pool scene with him and Reese Witherspoon will give you something to act out, even if you’re just on the couch.
- The Last Seduction — This classic shows Linda Fiorentino calling her conquest her “designated f**k.” Straight to the point: We like it!
Another outside-the-box idea. “Get retro and rediscover ‘heavy petting,’ and make sure to keep your clothes on until the credits roll,” Battista says.
There’s nothing like pretending you can’t go all the way to make actually doing it even sexier.