The pros and cons of hiring family and friends as wedding vendors
It seems like a great idea: You have a friend who is a florist, you hire her to do your wedding flowers. You'll probably get a discount and she'll get some business. It may be a great idea, but there are also hidden pitfalls in this plan. Each situation is different, but OneWed.com offers these basic pros and cons to consider.
- You give a friend or family member some business.
- It's always nice to help out a friend, and what better way than by letting her show off her talents.
- You have a vendor you can trust.
- She's a friend, you know she'll get that wedding cake to the reception site on time!
- You will probably get a discount.
- Although she'll have to pay her workers, and pay for her supplies, it's possible that your friend will reduce her profit as a gift to you.
- You'll have someone going above and beyond the call of duty.
- Hey, she's going to be there, too. She'll go the extra mile to make sure the rental companies come through for you.
- It gives you a way to involve a friend in your wedding planning.
- Not everyone can be a bridesmaid. This might be a good way to spend time with a friend you don't see that often.
- You may find it difficult to assert your own ideas with a friend who is a professional.
- You have a certain idea in mind for your wedding bouquet, but she's the professional. Will you be able to discuss this with her or will it devolve into a discussion of what happened when you didn't trust her in high school?
- She may be your best friend, but she isn't necessarily great at her job.
- She's a trustworthy friend, but have you ever actually seen her wedding photography portfolio? Now would be a horrible time to find out that she's not as good as she is nice.
- If she gives you a substantial discount, your friend may feel taken advantage of.
- Outsiders don't always understand the costs wedding vendors pay. She may have a hard time saying no to your requests, but it may cost her in the end.
- Your friend will be working instead of attending the wedding.
- Even if her part of the event is over before the wedding starts, she'll be there as the "invitation designer" not your friend from grade school.