More and more honeymooners use the word "adventure" when describing their ideal getaway. The week of laying on the beach with a pina colada in hand is wonderful, but most couples say that's a description of most of the vacations they've taken with their families and their partners during their lives. For this vacation, their honeymoon, they want something different. Something more exciting. A once-in-a-lifetime experience, even.
So that's why more couples are planning their honeymoons with a focus on the kinds of adventures the destination or resort offers them. They might plan their entire trip around a high-adrenaline sport, or just take one of two days for high adventure ... and then spend the rest of the week laying on the beach with that pina colada in hand.
Here is a list of the most popular adventure sports and activities requested by honeymooners. See which ones would make your getaway unforgettable:
- Swimming with dolphins
- Swimming with stingrays
- Scuba diving through shipwrecks or along coral reefs
- Nighttime scuba diving
- Subterranean cave and waterfall tours
- White water rafting
- Jet skiing
- Bungee jumping
- A canopy ride over the tops of rainforest trees
- Hikes through a rainforest
- Challenging mountain hikes
- Biking down the side roads of a volcano
- Pyramid or ruin climbing
- Horseback riding along the beach
- Night skiing
- Helicopter tours
- Exciting, exotic cultural activities, such as riding on a camel or elephant, even barefoot grape stomping at a vineyard
A little less pulse-racing but still active nonetheless are sports-oriented activities:
- Mountain biking
- Bike tours through Asia, Europe, wine country, and so on
- Golf (particularly at great courses the pros play at)
- Sailing and catamaraning
- Cross country skiing
- Ice skating on a frozen lake in the open-air
- Kayaking or canoeing
- And other sporting activities that might give you your first taste of a shared favorite activity for the future ...
Remember to bring your camera!