The basic elements of a relationship, such as love, trust, respect and compromise, won't ever change no matter how much the world evolves in other ways.
More: 10 Archaic relationship standards we should just stop
What the digital age has done is put modern relationships out there for us all to analyse. From reality TV to Instagram, we know more about what couples are getting up to than ever before — whether we like it or not. Here are 10 images that perfectly sum up relationships of the modern age.
1. Computer games can be make or break
2. You only need your thumb to ditch or date
3. Love doesn't mean going offline
4. Everything has another meaning
5. Nobody is allowed to be unavailable — ever
More: Living together may be better than getting married after all
6. Because who needs words anyway?
7. Divorce doesn't have to be the end of the world
8. In fact, let's make it a reason to celebrate
9. True love comes in all forms
10. Ultimately the most important relationship is the one you have with yourself
More: Woman outs her cheating husband on Craigslist in hilarious fashion