You will never want to give your dog the prepackaged treats again after making these little homemade dog treats. Unless you eat them all yourself — no judgment here.
One of my favorite tricks to play on my dog is to put peanut butter on her nose and watch her freak out and try to lick it off. After a fit of giggles, I realize that I should probably repay her for my amusement with a treat. Maybe two — I laughed quite a bit, and it was a tad evil.
I feel bad giving her the weirdly-scented, dry, bone-shaped treats you buy in bulk at Costco. There has got to be a few things in there that I probably should not be letting her eat.
Try making your own treats, if only on occasion, to spice up the regular treat routine. You do not even have to bake, just roll.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup finely shredded coconut
1. Add coconut oil, peanut butter and rolled oats to food processor and mix until well-combined.
2. Scoop out bite-size pieces with a spoon and roll into small balls.
3. Toss each ball in shredded coconut until well-coated.
4. Place on tray lined with parchment paper.
5. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.