We have a total crush on Selena Gomez’s chic ‘do. Find out why in this week’s installment of Celeb Hairstyle of the Week!
Oh yes it’s ladies’ night, and the hair is right. Selena Gomez recently sported this super sexy ponytail that puts our gym pony to shame. The look is appropriate for a TV appearance, but it works equally as well for your next girls’ night out or date night with your man.
So what makes this pony so special? It’s a combination of the height and texture, really. High ponytails can sometimes give you the appearance of a long forehead if you’re not careful, so this height is perfect. And then there’s the texture — shiny yet a bit fluffy and lived-in. It’s that awesome mix of effort and effortless, no?
Marc Harris, owner and lead stylist of Boston’s Marc Harris Salon, offers up his step by step tips for achieving Selena’s stunning style.
If you have thick, coarse hair, Marc recommends asking your stylist to apply a moisturizing styling cream such as Oribe Supershine Light for control and shine. For gals with fine strands, ask your stylist to spray Nioxin Thickening Spray for added volume, body and texture. One final tip? “Ask for teasing at the crown and along the top to be pulled into a smooth but loosely gathered ponytail placed mid-height or slightly higher depending on your head shape,” Marc says.
What to consider before getting this cut
“The details of this cut are not visible in this photo, but the most important thing to consider if you want this look is to make sure you have enough length after the cut to pull all of your hair into a ponytail,” Marc explains. “Most haircuts are not planned around a ponytail style, so if this is important to you, make sure to mention it to your stylist.”
Get the look
- Apply the appropriate styling product based on hair type (see above).
- Blow dry hair for a smooth finish.
- Lightly tease hair at the crown and along the top.
- Gather locks into hand while smoothing lightly with a finishing/flat brush. Be careful not to brush out teasing.
- Secure with ponytail holder at a middle height or slightly higher depending on your taste.
- Use a large barrel curling iron or flat iron to create loose waves in the ponytail.
- Spray with Nioxin Niospray extra hold hairspray to secure the look for an evening of fun without worry.