Get bright and get trendy — this year is bringing a new wave of color! We’re preparing you for spring and beyond with the best home decor color trends for 2013.
The year 2012 was all about the monogram; we saw it on our phone cases, on our purses, on our pillows and even on our walls. In 2013, we push the monogram trend aside and replace it with none other than the statement pillow. When choosing the perfect statement pillow for your home, go for something that will stand the test of time. Spell out your favorite statement with individual letters or go for a statement with meaning. Add it to the middle of your couch so it becomes the eye-catching piece of the room.
- Scrabble lover? Buy a set of Scrabble tile pillows at Etsy for $98.
- Want a permanent map of where you met? GeeZees will make a vintage map pillow for $149.
- Looking to be inspired? Get “Keep Calm and Dream On” from Ocean Styles for $19.
Last year, we put feathers in our hair and put fringe on our boots. This year, we take the tribal look into our homes. Tribal feathers are everywhere you look, and they are looking pretty good. The great thing about this trend is that the feathers really can go with anything! With this trend, choose a statement piece for your wall with smaller adjoining pieces around the room, such as wall art with a throw pillow or curtains with tiebacks. And don’t forget to stay with spring trends and go bright! Choose a gold or colored feather for a more fun look and design.
- This tribal feather metal wall sculpture from Metal Wall Art for $49 will make a great statement in any room.
- Feather curtain tiebacks from Urban Outfitters for $14 are a great way to tie in the spring trend without too much commitment.
- Combine two trends in one with this green peacock feather pillow from Zazzle, priced at $60.
Chevron definitely became a staple of home decor in 2012, showing up on walls, rugs and bedding. This year, it’s back with a vengeance. Add only one key piece of chevron to a room — going overboard will look more tacky than trendy. If you absolutely can’t get enough, add a small piece of wall art or a basket to the room for an extra touch. For a more fun and trendy look, choose a chevron design in a color other than that of the room it’s for. This will make your chevron piece really pop.
- If you want just a small accent to your home, place this Target Threshold chevron basket, priced at $17, in the corner of a room for magazine and book storage.
- This chevron rug from Pottery Barn Kids, for $99 to $499, is in an awesome neutral color that will look great with any bright color in your home.
- Go with the chevron trend and a bright color with this picture frame from Anthropologie for $28.
According to this spring’s Pantone color palette, light and bright is in, especially the sorbet shades. A simple touch of lemon yellow and lime green can brighten any room and will continue to ride the trend lines throughout 2013. Just as you should do with chevron, steer clear from adding too much of a good thing. Pair sorbet colors with a neutral color to make your sorbet pieces shine bright, or add a darker color from the Pantone palette if you’re a bit more risky.
- Not ready to take the full sorbet color plunge? Go with this Xhilaration ombre ruffle pillow from Target, priced at $20.
- A small — yet very fun and bright — addition for your home is this green flower top vase from World Market for $8.
- Lime green and in a great design, the Thumbprints spiral lime green table lamp from Lamps Plus for $327 will bring the perfect amount of green to your spring decor.