Tried and true for a reason, cornmeal and buttermilk are two ingredients that combine for an exfoliating, DIY facial scrub.
Gentle exfoliation can definitely be a good thing for your skin. It removes dead, dry skin cells to help even out your skin tone (and can help diminish fine lines). Once the dry skin is gone, you’ll have an easier time moisturizing the new skin cells that you uncover, and allow your skin to glow. It only takes a few ingredients to whip up the perfect at-home facial scrub.
Instead of sugar, like you might use for a body scrub, this recipe incorporates cornmeal to help with exfoliation. Use the finely ground type of cornmeal to help keep from scratching or aggravating your skin.
The buttermilk contains lactic acid – which also helps with gentle exfoliation and to tighten pores – and the fat in the buttermilk helps hydrate your skin.
DIY cornmeal and buttermilk facial scrub
Before applying the scrub to your face, first test it on your inner arm, where you skin is more sensitive, to help ensure you can tolerate the ingredients. Don’t forget to first wash your face to remove any dirt or makeup. You might have a little of this scrub left over — use on your elbows or knees in the shower!
- 2 tablespoons finely ground cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk (or you could use plain yogurt)
- Use a spoon to mix the ingredients in a small bowl to form a paste, and then let it stand for a few minutes.
- Pull your hair away from your face and place a warm, damp washcloth on your face for a moment.
- Gently massage the scrub onto your skin in a circular motion for a few minutes, and then rinse it with warm water and pat dry.
Two simple ingredients are all it takes to make an old-fashioned, DIY facial scrub.