She’s an international superstar and one of the four judges on The X Factor, so it’s understandable that Demi Lovato’s look is one coveted by young women everywhere. Eager to find out how Demi’s always looking so great, we reached out to her makeup artist, Jill Powell, to get the scoop on how to steal Demi’s signature look.
SheKnows: How often do you work with Demi?
Jill Powell: I work with Demi regularly now. I work on The X Factor show, red carpets, concert tours, photo shoots, music video, appearances, etc.
SK: What are some of Demi’s favorite makeup products that you use regularly on her?
SK: How would you describe Demi’s makeup personality?
JP: Demi loves to be glammed up when she is on camera but prefers [a] fresh face when she isn’t working. She is a beautiful girl and looks great in so many different looks. She does experiment and welcomes new looks but also has her favorites that she likes to do consistently. She loves a classic red lip and we do that look often.
SK: Demi is so beautiful! How do you like to highlight her features? Any special tricks?
JP: She has flawless, glowing skin so I always make sure to keep her skin glowing. I use Bobbi Brown Shimmer brick on her cheeks and often use Smashbox Luminizing primer to keep her skin aglow.
Demi looked gorgeous at The X Factor season two premiere. Jill tells us how we can steal
- Prep the skin with a hydrating moisturizer like Amore Pacific and then apply Hourglass Veil Primer. Using a dampened Beautyblender sponge, apply a sheer layer of NARS Sheer glow Foundation to the face, focusing on the center of the face.
- Apply Bobbi Brown Concealer under the eyes starting in the inner corner and blending down and out under the eye. I try to create a triangle under the eye to bring light to the center of the face. (Think of a vertical line from the inner corner of the eye going down the side of the nose, and a horizontal line from the inner corner of the eye to just beyond the outer corner of the eye. Then a diagonal line connecting the ends from the nose to the outer corner of the eye.)
- Next, I used Smashbox Contouring Palette to sculpt the face. Using an angled blush brush, sweep the medium shade from the center of the ear under the cheekbone, following the natural contours of the cheeks. Then sweep the same shade across the hairline and blend downward.
- Then sweep MAC pink swoon blush on the apples of the cheek and Bobbi Brown shimmer brick just above the blush. Set the entire face with Make Up For Ever Super Matte Loose Powder.
- For the eyes, I used Dior 5 colour palette. Blend the gold brown shade from the outer corner of the eye toward the end of the eyebrow. Then blend the same shade into the crease. Press the beige shade onto the lid and under the eyebrow.
- Line at the top lash line with black liner (I used Urban Decay pencil in Zero) and smudge the outer corner with a dark brown shadow (I used Bark by Girlaktic). Smudge Bark under the bottom lash line with a small smudge brush for added dimension.
- Curl the lashes and apply Benefit They’re Real mascara and add individual lashes for a bit more fullness and length.
- Since we were doing a red lip, I wanted to ensure that it would look perfect and stay the entire time. I start out by concealing the lip line with a concealer to ensure that the liner looks very precise and clean.
- I used Too Faced lip insurance lip primer to make sure the color stays strong all night. I lined the lips with NARS Jungle Red pencil. The trick is to go over the liner multiple times so the color is rich and the line is clean.
- Then using a lip brush I applied Kat Von D lipstick in Underage Red.
- Finally, I set the lips with Make Up Forever HD Powder.
More Demi Lovato
Demi Lovato speaks up: Bye-bye bullies, hello beautiful
Demi Lovato denies One Direction romance
Demi Lovato battles back with anti-bullying campaign