As exciting as it is to take a trip, the process can be draining for even the most seasoned travel veteran, and all that time in the air doesn’t usually make for the most glowing complexion.
Let’s face it — flying wreaks havoc on your skin. But it doesn’t have to. We share some simple yet effective ways to keep your skin looking great at altitude.
Flying and your skin
“The biggest problem is dryness, because the air changes inside the cabin,” says Renee Klinc, an American Airlines flight attendant, about the number one enemy to supple skin when flying. “This is the main concern to be aware of and to take care of when you’re traveling.” And Klinc would know. Since her career regularly takes her to 30,000 feet, she understands what air travel can mean to even the smoothest skin.
Before and after you fly
Your travel-savvy skin regimen starts before you even board. Not only will the right routine help keep your skin comfortable, but you’ll look great for the duration of your flight. “I start with using a mild cleanser, and then I use a moisturizer, a skin perfector and 24-hour makeup,” says Klinc. “Whenever I get home or to the hotel, I wash my face and apply a night moisturizer, and I use lip balm for my lips. I also always wash my hands thoroughly after flying.”
While you’re in the air
Whether you’re in the air for three hours or logging multiple hours on an overseas flight, your skin will be affected — but there are ways to minimize dryness and discomfort. “For the face I would recommend using a moisturizer. I also always try not to use any drying soaps or astringents before flying,” advises Klinc. “For your hands and body, I’d recommend using a healthy amount of lotion, preferably one with no scent or perfume.”
Klinc will even apply moisturizer over makeup when her face is extremely dry while flying. “It’s also very important to drink a lot of water. I try to drink one liter of water on a three-hour flight,” she says.
In-flight product picks
We’ve rounded up some helpful hydrating and skin perfecting products to stay gorgeous no matter where you’re going.
- Face moisturizer: Hydrate your skin as you fly with either a travel container of your favorite moisturizer or something that can minimize dryness on even the longest flights. Try L’Occitane Ultra Rich Face Cream ($10).
- Hand cream: No carry-on bag should be without a travel-sized tube of hand cream. We’re partial to Aubrey Organics Unscented Ultimate Moisturizing Lotion ($7).
- Lip balm: Give chapped lips the kiss-off by regularly moisturizing your pout in-flight. Try First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Lip Therapy ($12).
- Cleansing wipes: Washing your face in a tiny airplane bathroom can be tough. Refresh on the go with cleansing facial wipes. We like Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes ($5 for 25).
- Skin mist: Keep skin from feeling tight by keeping a travel size bottle of mineral water facial mist handy. Our go-to pick is Evian Facial Water Spray ($20 for three).
Tell us: What are your in-flight beauty secrets? Share in the comments below!