Your pet is a member of your family and is one of your best friends, so why not let them indulge in a holiday feast while you are stuffing yourself with turkey and pie? These two holiday-themed recipes are perfectly dog safe and are made with wholesome, natural ingredients. Skip the dry food this holiday and serve them a feast they deserve!
A turkey and potato patty and sweet pumpkin biscuits make the perfect holiday meal for your furry companion. They may not be able to join you at the dinner table, but they can still enjoy a fabulous holiday meal!
Turkey and potato patties
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray
Yields about 3 patties
- 1/2 cup shredded turkey breast
- 1/3 baked potato, chopped
- 1/4 cup organic breadcrumbs
- 1/2 egg
- 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce (or fresh chopped cranberries)
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- In a bowl, mix the shredded turkey and breadcrumbs together. Add egg and baked potato and mix well. Add in chopped cranberries.
- Heat the bacon fat in a skillet over medium high heat. Form three patties with the turkey mixture and place them in the bacon fat. Cook for about two to four minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Pumpkin dog biscuits
Yields about 25 medium biscuits.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- Dash of salt
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs and pumpkin until smooth. Whisk in dry milk and dash of salt. Gradually add whole wheat flour until stiff dough forms. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about one-half-inch thickness.
- Once dough has been rolled, use a dog bone cookie cutter (or your choice of cutter) and cut out shapes. Place them about one inch away from each other on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, turn biscuits over, and then bake another 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.