We’re partnering up with some of the hair industry’s top talents to bring you answers to your most pressing hair questions. Up today? Justine Piecuch, a stylist at Boston’s renowned Jeffrey Lyle Salon, is showing us how to how to care for hair when static strikes.
“What’s the best way to care for your hair when static strikes?”
This is such a good question and has been a hot topic in the past few weeks for many of my clients. Summer is over and for most people, it was the time to take on the sun and let yourself be natural. Most people tend to neglect their hair during the summer more than ever. Now that it’s over, you’re left with the repercussions.
Static in the hair is caused by dryness and is due to seasonal changes. To resolve the problem, you can do the following. But make sure you do it continuously!
- Ditch any old and cheap products. Old products that are opened only have a shelf life of one year, so throw them out. Alcohol and water dilute all the nourishing ingredients that help the hair, hence the price being so cheap. These can often add to the static problem because the hair is drying out even more. Invest in a good shampoo and daily conditioner that really drives in moisture.
- Do a rich deep conditioning treatment weekly. Regular conditioner is great, but it shampoos out of the hair with each wash, therefore lacking a lasting effect. Deep conditioner will penetrate deeper and moisturize the hair.
- Add moisture to the air by adding a humidifier in the bedroom.
- Try as hard as you can to avoid taking hot showers. This instantly will strip hair of any moisture.
- Carry a static guard sheet in your purse and simply swipe hair with it when static erupts. Another amazing trick is to spray a brush with static guard and run this through the hair.
With the cold and constant indoor heating, your hair will need lots of care this fall, so make sure you pay more attention to it! Neglecting it only becomes harder to reverse in the future.