For your next dinner party, get your guests involved. Host a spring roll dinner party and lay out a spread for making spring rolls with all the fillings to let your guests create their own.
Even though you’re hosting a dinner party, it doesn’t mean you have to do all the work! For some dishes, half the fun is making it, so invite your guests to get in on the action and start rolling some spring rolls. They can customize their spring rolls exactly how they like them by adding as much of each ingredient as they desire. All you have to do is a little prep work, and since spring rolls are served cold, all the cooking can be done in advance.
Step 1: Prep the fillings
To host a spring roll party for four, prepare the following:
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 cucumbers, seeds removed and cut into matchsticks
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into strips
- 1 bunch cilantro, large stems removed
- 1 bunch mint, stems removed
- 1 pound cooked beef, cooled and cut into thin strips
- 1 pound cooked chicken, cooled and cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces vermicelli rice noodles (maifun), cooked and cooled according to package directions
- 1 package spring roll wrappers (rice paper)
Add extra flavor to your meat with an Asian marinade >>
Step 2: Make the dipping sauce
Prepare a dipping sauce for the spring rolls by whisking together the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 green onion, sliced
For another dipping sauce option, make spicy peanut sauce >>
Step 3: Set the table
Place all of your fillings onto platters, keeping the meats, noodles and vegetables separate. You will also need a large, deep plate to fill with hot water for softening the spring roll wrappers. (A deep-dish pie plate works well.) Add the water just before starting, as the cooler the water gets, the longer it takes to soften the wrappers. Put a large dinner plate in front of each guest for laying out their softened wrappers.
Step 4: Assemble
Have each guest dip their spring roll wrapper into the warm water until softened, then add the fillings of their choice. To roll the spring roll, fold in each side of the wrapper over the filling, then roll up towards the top until sealed.
Check out this step-by-step tutorial on rolling spring rolls >>
Step 5: Eat!
Now that your custom spring rolls are ready to eat, dip them in the sauce and enjoy the fruits of your labor!