Creator Mally Steves Chakola did not expect to fall in love with Rose Hip Seed Oil (RHSO), but when she mixed it with her moisturizer, she found that she loved the velvety texture. It also helped heal a longtime scar. But does the brand new skin care line live up to Chakola’s claim? Read our review to find out.
Not all skin care lines were created equal, especially for moms. Today’s multitasking mother knows how important it is to hydrate the skin, yet demand quality, natural ingredients that actually work. The M. Steves line, created by Mally Steves Chakola, uses Rose Hip Seed Oil (RHSO) as its star ingredient.
Derived from the seeds of rose bushes native to the Andes Mountains in South America, RHSO promises the benefits of an anti-aging ingredient while offering skin rejuvenation. In a nutshell, RHSO offers the skin essential fatty acids but in unsaturated form, and these give the skin omega-3, 6 and 9 oils that leave the skin velvety, not greasy. The formulation also contains vitamin E.
What’s so different about this line?
The skeptic may ask what the differentiating factor is in the M. Steves line, and certainly there are tall claims. The fact that it promises to improve skin tone and texture, burns, help reverse UV damage, reduce scarring and fine lines and wrinkles is a lot to ask — of any skin care line. When you look at a single power ingredient promising so much, of course I’m going to raise an eyebrow or two.
But let’s start with the look and feel. Every product in this line makes your skin feel luxurious. There’s not one drop that’s too greasy or tacky, starting with the Purifying Cleanser to the Anti-Aging Serum. Can we say that they work? In terms of hydration, fine lines and overall texture, this skin care line ranks very highly indeed. I personally don’t have too many burns or scars to say that it helped me, but from what I hear, RHSO is a powerful scar fighter.
The M. Steves lineup
Here’s how the products in M. Steves measure up:
- Purifying Cleanser ($28): I absolutely loved how the cleanser (a dime-size amount) removed traces of oil and makeup without over drying. A mommy must!
- Multi Benefit Moisturizer ($38): This will nourish, soothe and calm the skin and deliver some serious hydration in the process. In addition to all the RHSO goodness, it contains hyaluronic acid.
- Anti-aging Serum ($46): Use this rich (but not greasy) serum underneath your moisturizer to banish fine lines. It’s perfect for moms.
- Reviving Exfoliator ($36): Made with real Dead Sea mud as well as microdermabrasion crystals, walnut shell powder, glycolic acid and fruit enzymes, this is your weekly spa in a jar.
- Ultra Nourishing Boost ($48): Extra moisture any time you need it. I recommend it for those really dry days and winter months.
While all these products are affordable in and of themselves, there’s a Mother’s Day Special Package you may want to check out, which offers great value.
The bottom line
The bottom line: RHSO may be the next big thing in the natural aisle that performs well on skin. It certainly does this line many favors. Moreover, the branding and packaging of this line really looks and feels luxurious, and you’re not spending a fortune. This set is good for any woman with a serious passion for natural ingredients that work.
More beauty reviews
Review: Biore’s new Combination Skin Balancing Cleanser
Limited edition review: Josie Maran “Model Citizen” Argan Oil Collection for Earth Day
Review: NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 review