Before your next houseguests arrive, gather up these 10 thoughtful and practical items to place in your guest room. Make their stay as comfortable as possible and show them just how happy you are to have them for a visit.
Small things make the difference for guests
If you’re concerned that your guest might forget one of the essentials, you can always keep a basket under the bathroom sink with things like a brand-new toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, mouthwash, travel-size shampoo and conditioner, body wash, body lotion, deodorant, face wash, face cream, makeup remover, tampons or feminine pads and a disposable razor.
Don’t miss these guest room makeover ideas >>
And here’s a handful of thoughtful items to keep in a guest basket in your guest room to ensure that your visitors feel truly welcomed and comfortable.
10 Things to place in your guest room basket
- Stumbling into a strange kitchen in the middle of the night for a glass of water can feel incredibly uncomfortable. Save your guests from having to make their way in the dark by providing them with one bottle of water for each night of their stay.
- There’s nothing worse than being a guest in someone’s home and getting the late-night munchies. Your guests will appreciate a small selection of sweet and savory snacks.
- Chapped lips seem to go hand in hand with travel, and forgetting your lip balm can leave you with that special pain of dry, cracked lips. Since this isn’t an item that can be borrowed, keeping one in your guest basket will come in handy.
- Sample packs of basic over-the-counter medication like acetaminophen, ibuprofen and antacid are great to keep on hand for guests who may not think to pack them.
- You can find mini sewing kits at most department stores. Such an inexpensive item can make a big difference for a guest who needs to repair a loose button or temporarily mend a seam.
- Downy Wrinkle Release spray can make a world of difference for clothes that have gotten creased during travel and will save your guests from having to trouble you for an ironing board and iron.
- Your guests will appreciate a ready supply of postcards to send back to those at home. Be sure to also tuck some postcard stamps in the basket to make for easy mailing.
- A stack of magazines can help a guest who isn’t quite ready to go to sleep and can also be a lifesaver for an early riser who doesn’t want to disturb you in the morning.
- Choose a few of your favorite short books from which your guest can read during her stay. You’ll love sharing your favorites with her and she’ll appreciate that you cared enough to do so.
- A special gift for your guest to take home with them like one of your favorite wines or a souvenir from your local area will be a lovely reminder for your guest of her stay with you.
Learn how to turn a spare bedroom into an inviting guest room >>
With just a bit of extra effort on your part, these special items will make your guest feel truly welcome. Enjoy!