Who says boyish figures can’t be chic? Learn how to work some femininity into your boyish figure with our style tips!
Boy meets girl
Who says boyish figures can’t be chic? Learn how to work some femininity into your boyish figure with our tips!
When you were younger, the last thing you ever wanted to hear was that you had a “boyish” figure. After all, boys had cooties back then… duh! Now that you’re all grown up, though, it’s time to turn the term “boyish” upside down.
So what does it mean if you have a “boyish” figure? Well, it doesn’t mean you’re a tomboy, that’s for sure. Women with this body type have straight and narrow figures.
Even with all these resources, it can still be a bit confusing to actually tackle shopping for your shape, but we’re taking all the work out of the process for you! With the expert help and fashion tips of celeb stylist Salvador Camarena, we’re taking one of Hollywood’s hottest boyish figures, Emma Stone, and showing you how you, too, can look as great as she does.
The boyish dilemma
Since your body is straight and narrow, you don’t really have many curves. Many women with boyish figures struggle to create a more feminine look in their everyday styles.
The simple solution
- Add volume: Even though you’re not particularly curvy, you can create the illusion of a nice curvy figure by adding volume to your top or bottom half. To add some volume to your bottom, throw on a flirty tutu or ruffle dress or skirt. Try this vibrant one from BCBGMAXAZRIA. Or, create the illusion of curves by keeping things nice and fitted on top by wearing a form-fitting top like this one from BCBGMAXAZRIA. Add volume to your top half by wearing a top with ruffles, heavy embellishments or puff sleeves. Pair a top like this with a simple black skinny/slim pant.
- Belt it out: Adding a belt to your dress or tunic-like top is an easy way to create a waist for your boyish figure.
- Pretty in peplum: One of spring’s hottest trends, the peplum, is perfect for the boyish figure! To help create volume at your natural waist, try a peplum top like this one from J. Crew.
- Get skinny: Throw on a pair of skinny pants or jeans and you’ll have long, lean looking legs to complement your otherwise boyish figure.
- Hike up the heels: As with any figure, adding a pair of heels can do wonders for accentuating your natural shape. Throw on a pair of platforms to finish your look, and you’ll be good to go!
Friday’s Fashion Obsessions: Katherine Heigl and Emmy Rossum’s feminine looks
Friday’s Fashion Obsessions: Ashley Benson’s flirty frock and Viola Davis’ pretty pink dress
Friday’s Fashion Obsessions: Naya Rivera and Cameron Diaz’s flirty dresses