When Apple swooped in and dropped the iPad on the marketplace, the response from the competition was fast and furious. As a result, this holiday season we’re going to be seeing all kinds of tablet and pad devices up for sale. Here’s a quick look at the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy Tab, which looks to be a worthy contender.
One of the latest major contestants in the quickly-growing tablet marketplace, Samsung’s new Galaxy Tab is certainly at the forefront.
For starters, the Samsung design team has learned a lesson or two from Apple’s iPad’s well-known shortcomings. The Galaxy features several features “missing” from the iPad, namely by…
- Offering both front- and rear-facing cameras to capture still images and video
- Working as a telephone (speakerphone or with the use of a Bluetooth headset)
- Supporting the latest Adobe Flash Player 10.1
The tablet’s downfall is perhaps its size: while it weighs just 380g (13.4 ounces), the display is only 7 inches wide. In comparison, the iPad’s screen is 9.7 inches — and the lack of that two-plus inches means a lot when we’re talking about a device that is meant to be everything from an ebook reader to a web browser to a movie viewer. On the other hand, many will appreciate its purse-perfect size.
Here are some more details about the Samsung Galaxy Tab:
- Powered by Android Operating System 2.2
- Offers 3G HSPA connectivity, 802.11n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth® 3.0
- Supported by a range of multimedia formats (DivX, XviD, MPEG4, H.263, H.264 and others)
No pricing information is available yet, nor are details of the presumably requisite data plan. Stay tuned!
more tech gadgety goodness
- Blackberry announces iPad alternative, the Blackberry PlayBook
- Motorola and Verizon announce the Droid Pro
- Glasses-free 3D TV on sale soon
* This article was not sponsored or requested by Samsung, and no money, samples or other gifts were received for its inclusion on SheKnows. Originally posted 10/06/10.