Summer is hard on our hair. It takes a beating from the sun and chlorine, and weakens with brushing and styling. Undo the damage – and have a little fun with a DIY project – by whipping up a hair mask using ingredients that are already in your pantry and fridge. It’s an affordable treat for your tresses and because it comes from your kitchen, you won’t deal with any impossible-to-pronounce ingredients.
Try these three at-home recipes from Helen Ambrosen, product creator for Lush. You don’t have to be a whiz in the kitchen to make them, but if you’d rather shop for a hair treatment, Lush, a line of natural, handmade bath and body products, offers a variety at its stores and at lushusa.com.
Avocado Hair Mask
Avocados are packed with oils that nourish dry, frazzled tresses. They’re the star of this moisturizing mask that will leave hair soft and glossy.
- Fresh herbs (such as rosemary or thyme)
- 3-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ripe avocados
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3-1/2 tablespoons runny honey
- Wheat flour (or barley four) or finely ground oatmeal
- Make an infused oil by placing a couple sprigs of fresh herbs in the olive oil. Soak overnight. When ready to make the mask, pour the oil through a small mesh strainer to remove the herbs and reserve the oil in a bowl.
- Mash the flesh of the avocados and press it through a sieve or mesh strainer. Add the infused olive oil, lemon juice and honey to the mixture and stir. Add flour in increments, enough to make a paste.
- Apply the mask to dry hair. Separate hair into sections and massage the mixture into each, from root to tip.
- Wrap hair in a towel or plastic wrap for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse well, then shampoo and condition hair.
Hair Shine Treatment
This zesty rinse revives lackluster locks in just one minute. The fruit juices dissolve build up and add shine for pretty, polished hair.
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine the juices in a small bowl and stir.
- After shampooing and conditioning, apply the mixture to the ends of hair.
- Leave on for about a minute, then rinse.
Hair Strengthening Treatment
Give your overworked tresses a little TLC with this simple mixture of eggs, which are incredibly moisturizing, and olive oil, which improves the strength of each strand.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, then mix in the olive oil. Use double quantities for longer hair.
- Massage the mixture into dry hair. Wrap hair in a towel for 10 minutes. Rinse out the mixture, then shampoo and condition your hair.
More DIY beauty products
Homemade tomato scrub
This tutorial will show you how to take a tomato and turn it into an invigorating scrub.