Rich, bold and equally elegant and intense, this season’s color palette is not for the meek, but rather for the woman who does half her talking with her hands. With so many polishes to try and winter’s weeks short, you better start now. Before you know it, spring will be in bloom and brick red will have evolved into cotton candy pink.
2009/2010 is seeing the most risk-taking collection of colors in recent winters. Rocked out and edgy dark purples, wines, reds, blues, greens and charcoals are the hottest on the list. Also making the list though are neutrals such as nudes, beiges, soft pinks and mauves that luxuriously complement the cozy winter whites in your closet. Our faves include:
• Purple: Dior’s Silver Purple
• Green: OPI’s Here Today… Aragon Tomorrow
• Blue: Essie’s Midnight Cami
• Wine: Nars’ Gimme Shelter
• Red: Rescue Beauty Lounge’s Atame
• Charcoal: Urban Decay’s Gun Metal
• Mauve: Sephora’s And Then He Said
Runways and red carpets are becoming cluttered with celebs donning the fierce yet sophisticated look of the half moon. Using completely contrasting colors or shades of the same color, the half moon is indeed a conversation starter. It works best on slightly longer, oval shaped nails.
Also adored by many a celebrity and much more achievable by the rest of us, particularly for the recession special at-home manicure, is the matte look, offering all of the power of a saturated hue but with a more refined look, sans shine.
As for length, it’s all about short this season. Short (meaning just past the edge of your finger) and tailored nails offset the edgy color options and styles and are far easier to maintain, particularly with these rich colors, that when chipped, are noticeably uncute.
For the real fashionista, try:
• blending a drop of black into a favorite dark color to deepen its tone
• adding a layer of metallic or shimmer (not glitter) for a brilliant but edgy holiday sheen
• painting thumb/big toe a different color than the remainder of your fingers/toes
Spring sneak peek
Look out for a creamy, dreamy soft grey which is sure to take the runway and the red carpet by storm in spring! In particular, we’ve got our eye on YSL’s Stormy Grey!