Sports Illustrated model, Lip Sync Battle cohost and undisputed Queen of Twitter Chrissy Teigen also claims the title of mom to her two adorable children with John Legend, 2-year-old Luna and 2-month-old Miles. Teigen never shies away from keeping it real on social media and in interviews, and that attitude definitely extends to her motherhood experience.
Because she got right back to work shortly after the births of both her kids (and because she’s a major social media maven), she’s written numerous tweets about her experience and about motherhood in general. By revealing her (often hilarious) reactions to judgmental mommy bloggers, the difficulties of getting into work mode after taking time off for parental leave and the double standards applied to working moms and working dads, Teigen makes new parents around the world feel seen.
More: Gabrielle Union Says Women Need to Stop Feeling “Lucky”
Here are a few especially clever examples.
1. When, while planning her return to her professional life after daughter Luna’s birth, Teigen took on the “sanctimommies” of the world.
"i never wanted to leave my daughter, i love her, BUT THAT'S JUST ME" – the passive aggressiveness is real!
— christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) April 24, 2016
2. When she took a moment to consider how motherhood has changed the pace of her very outwardly glamorous professional life.
365 days ago, this. now i am watching an episode of Unwrapped about clementines with my boob out…life is crazy pic.twitter.com/eCGYr6pfBO
— christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) May 2, 2016
More: Chrissy Teigen Just Shared Pics of Her “Mom Bod,” & We Officially Can’t Love Her More
3. At the end of a long day, when she sent a tweet asking for support from the mom community (in her typically funny and quick-witted way, of course).
I am having a very rough day and it would help me a lot if any moms would like to share stories of their kids being mean to them
— christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) September 23, 2017
4. When, shortly after the birth of son Miles, she caught a glimpse of husband John Legend on TV — and pointed out the perceived difference between dads who return to work right after a birth and moms who do the same.
wow didn’t u just have a baby John smh go take care of it !!!!!! disgusting pic.twitter.com/l20XJGQ2Fu
— christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) May 20, 2018
More: This Is Exactly How Long It Takes Kylie Jenner to Make Your Annual Salary
5. And, when in an interview with Yahoo Style, she totally acknowledged her privilege and gave a shoutout to all the people who help her balance being a mom and being a working professional.
“Having help. My mom lives with us. I have hair and makeup people. I’m not getting up and doing all this by myself. If I’m not being done for something, I’m not going anywhere. A lot of hands go into it. We have help. It’s important for people to know that. I have the utmost respect for mothers and single mothers who go to work and come home and make dinner. I do all these things because I have help. Luna goes down at 6:30 and has a nurse watch her, and I can cook dinner,” Teigen told Yahoo.
A version of this post previously appeared on Fairygodboss, the largest career community that helps women get the inside scoop on pay, corporate culture, benefits and work flexibility. Founded in 2015, Fairygodboss offers company ratings, job listings, discussion boards and career advice.
Leave a Comment