Nothing adds to the ambiance of your home quite like a room full of candles. Add a touch of romance to your Valentine’s Day with beautiful heart-shaped votive holders you can make yourself.
For this project you will need white dry non-sanded grout. Grout is perfect for this project because, unlike concrete, it is available in small quantities and dries much faster.
Pour 1/2 cup of grout into disposable cups. You will need 1 cup per votive holder that you plan to make.
Add 1 tablespoon of paint to each cup of grout.
Mix in 3 to 4 tablespoons of warm water, then stir everything together until the color is well-mixed.
Spoon the grout mixture into a heart-shaped baking mold.
Leave about 1/2 inch between the top of the grout and the top of the baking mold, then set a tea light candle on top of the grout.
Fill in the area around the candle with more grout and smooth out the top as best you can. Let the grout dry for 3 to 4 hours.
Once the grout has dried, remove it from the baking mold and remove the tea light candle. Use a sanding block to smooth out any rough or uneven edges on the votive holder.
Place a fresh tea light candle in the votive holder and it is ready to use.
DIY heart-shaped votive holders
- White dry non-sanded grout
- Heart-shaped silicone baking molds
- Plastic cups
- Tea light candles
- Sanding block
- Pour 1/2 cup of grout into disposable cups.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of paint and 3 to 4 tablespoons of water in with the grout.
- Spoon the grout into the heart-shaped mold, stopping about 1/2 inch from the top of the mold.
- Set a tea light candle on top of the grout, then fill in the rest of the mold around the candle.
- Let the grout dry for 3 to 4 hours, then remove the candle from the center and remove the heart from the mold.
- Use a sanding block to sand down any rough or uneven edges, then put a new tea light candle in the center of the votive holder.