For anyone who has a thing for journals, pretty papers or lists, here’s a fun and quick tutorial for making inexpensive customized notebooks.
If you’re anything like me, strolling down the paper goods aisle at the craft store gives you a little thrill. There’s something about all the possibilities that a simple piece of paper or some shiny washi tape holds, and gets me motivated to make a special card, gift or something for myself. And who doesn’t love making something hand crafted that doesn’t take all day and saves you a few dollars while you’re at it?
These little notebooks fit the bill. Make them for all your favorite people and you won’t even put a dent in the wallet. The plain little notebooks came in a pack of three at my local office supply for $3. (Hint: You will find these bargain packs in the paper section, not the notebook section.)
Find your papers at a paper or craft store and purchase the large, sturdy card stock type 12 x 12-inch squares. At 99 cents each, this entire project of a set of three notebooks cost $6. Why not make a few for yourself while you’re at it?
Start by cutting your papers slightly wider than your notebooks. To figure out where to score and fold them, place the notebook right side down with the edge resting where the paper meets the binding on the front side. Score with the back edge of scissors or something sharp that won’t cut through the paper. I used the back of a razor blade.
Turn it over and you’ll see where to score the paper to fold over and fit the top of the notebook.
Fold the top of the paper under and trim if needed so that you have a nice sturdy folded top that hangs slightly over where the bottom of the paper will fold up, so you can tuck it in like a matchbook cover. Now you can glue the back and top of the notebook to your paper.
If you want to decorate it further, use washi tape, craft items or stickers. I kept mine simple by using decorative tape at the top, which wraps completely around to the back and helps hold the top down nice and sturdy.
I’m sure you know someone who would love to get a set of these this year, or just give yourself a gift!
DIY customized paper-covered notebooks
- 12 x 12-inch patterned craft paper
- Mini notebooks
- Something to score with (I used the back side of a razor blade)
- Glue stick
- Optional washi or decorative tape, stickers or paper craft decorations
- Cut your patterned paper into strips just slightly wider than your notebooks. My notebooks were 3-1/2 inches wide, so I cut my paper 3-3/4 inches wide.
- Score and fold the paper around the notebook, starting with the front and rotating around to the top. Score with something sharp that won’t cut through the paper, like the back of a razor blade or the blunt edge of scissors.
- Fold the top of the paper under and trim if needed so that you have a nice sturdy folded top that hangs slightly over where the bottom of the paper will fold up, so you can tuck it in like a matchbook cover. Glue the back and top of the notebook to your paper and weigh down with a book to help set the glue.
- Optional: Use washi tape, paper craft items or stickers to decorate it further.
More DIY projects
17 Winter decor projects to DIY in the comfort of your cozy home
DIY watercolor perpetual calendar you can use year after year
18 Stylish DIY door mats to welcome you home