As the cold weather moves in, the blankets make their way out of storage. If your home is anything like mine, this means they usually end up scattered all over the living room. Help your home stay more tidy this winter by making your own blanket ladder to create storage that’s not only functional but decorative too.
You won’t need anything overly fancy to make this blanket ladder project. Just a few items from the hardware store (full list below), a saw and a drill will get you started.
Cut each of the boards down to size. I used 1 x 3 and 2 x 2 boards to make my ladder. I cut two 1 x 3 boards to 5-feet in length. Then I cut the 2 x 2 boards into four 20-inch pieces. Lay the boards out to figure out the spacing for the rungs of the ladder.
Use wood screws to attach the rungs of the ladder to the sides of the ladder. If the look of the screws bothers you, you can use wood filler to hide them. I was looking for a more rustic look with my ladder so I left them visible.
I chose to sand down the corners and edges of the wood to give it more of an aged, distressed feel.
Brush some wood stain on the ladder with a paint brush, then use an old rag to wipe away any excess stain. Allow the stain to dry overnight.
If you are worried about keeping the ladder from falling over around small kids or rambunctious pets, use a picture hanging kit to safely secure it to the wall.
After your ladder is secure, you can add cozy blankets and admire your new beautiful blanket storage.
How to make a DIY blanket ladder
- 2 (1 x 3-inch) boards
- 1 (2 x 2-inch) board
- Wood screws
- Paint brush
- Hanging brackets
- Cut the boards to size to make your ladder. I cut two 5-foot boards out of the 1 x 3 lumber, and four 20-inch boards out of the 2 x 2 lumber.
- Lay out the pieces to determine the placement of the boards to construct the ladder.
- Screw the rungs of the ladder into the rails of the ladder using wood screws.
- Sand down the corners and edges to give the ladder a distressed look, if desired.
- Use a paint brush to apply the wood stain, then wipe away any excess stain with a rag.
- Let the stain dry overnight.
- Attach picture hanging brackets to the back of the ladder to secure it to the wall.
- Enjoy your new blanket storage.