The world lost an icon last night when baseball Hall of Famer Yogi Berra died. He was 90.
Not only was the star catcher for the New York Yankees and New York Mets a stellar player, he was also known for his wit and wisdom when it came to his musings about baseball and life in general. They weren’t always exactly grammatically or factually correct, but they were definitely memorable.
Here are 15 of our favorite quotes from Yogi Berra.
Some of them definitely made you stop and think:
1. “It’s déjà vu all over again.”
2. “When you come to a fork in the road… take it.”
Sometimes he stated the obvious:
3. “The future ain’t what it used to be.”
4. “If it’s an emergency, it’s usually urgent.”
5. “Never answer an anonymous letter.”
Other times we weren’t sure exactly what he meant, but we still liked hearing what he thought:
6. “I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.”
7. “It gets late early out here.”
8. “Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.”
Most of the time, he just inspired us
9. “I want to thank baseball. It has given me more than I could ever hope for.”
10. “You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.”
11. “Slump? I ain’t in no slump… I just ain’t hitting.”
12. “I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s got lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.”
13. “It ain’t over till it’s over.”
Perhaps most appropriate at this time are these final two quotes:
14. “A lot of guys go, ‘Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.’ I tell ’em, ‘I don’t know any.’ They want me to make one up. I don’t make ’em up. I don’t even know when I say it. They’re the truth. And it is the truth. I don’t know.”
15. “You should always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.”
Thanks for the laughs and love of the game, Yogi. R.I.P.