Prostitution is not something many of us really understand; that’s why the Reddit post by a legal prostitute working in an Australian brothel is a gold mine of information.
More: #FacesOfProstitution selfies challenge the public perception of sex work
The woman, who goes by the user name Lyfet, made an “ask me anything” post, in which people asked her some interesting questions (that many of us may have wondered about prostitution at some point). Below are 12 honest truths from the post.
1. She earns between $80 and $1,000 in a week
Answering the question about how much money she earns in a year, Lyfet revealed that she has not worked a year in the industry yet, but she did have a projected figure.
2. She has many other interests and activities besides her job
3. Her average clients tend to be men over the age of 45
Answering a question about whether her average client would be able to “pick up a girl like you,” Lyfet revealed that most of the men she sleeps with are “not bad looking”. But they don’t tend to be “terribly confident in themselves”.
4. Her clients are not what the stigma surrounding people who pay for sex suggests they must be like
5. She is never forced to see a client
7. She’s never had a paraplegic customer
8. All of the women at her brothel are there voluntarily and she has a monogamous partner outside of work
In response to a question about whether she is liberal with sex and whether she sleeps with men outside of the workplace freely, Lyfet revealed that she does not. She also said that she disagreed with the asker’s opinion that women aren’t doing prostitution “completely voluntarily”.
9. She wouldn’t mind if her boyfriend slept with a prostitute
When asked if she would be okay with her boyfriend having sex outside of their relationship or having a session with one of the other women working at her brothel, Lyfet gave an honest answer.
10. She’d happily consider doing porn
11. She doesn’t tell the people in her life she does prostitution
Lyfet also answered a series of questions in one post: She does not tell her family about her sex work, but she does tell those in her love life.
12. And she doesn’t do drugs or drink at her work
Lyfet revealed that she tried going to work inebriated once, but it didn’t work out in her favour.