Floppy hats are so in right now, which is great news, because they’re not only chic and stylish, but super practical. They keep the sun off your pretty face, they hide messy hair, and they can totally take a “basic” outfit up several notches. If you love the way hats look on other people, but you’re not sure you can really pull one off, well… how do we put this… you’re wrong! Here’s how:
1. Try on different styles
Vince Camuto Striped Floppy with Rope Band (Macy’s, $48)
There are a ton of different styles, so play around and see which kind you like the most. You’re only going to wear it if you love it.
2. Consider the fabric
A floppy felt hat like this Hat Attack Wool Felt Round Crown Floppy Hat is very on trend and looks great with a button-down shirt. (shopbop.com, $99)
But it’s going to be hotter than, say, this Multi Braid Floppy Hat, which will keep you shaded and chic on a sunny day (Nordstrom Rack, $19).
3. Rock a floppy hat in private to get comfortable with the idea
Forever 21 Striped Floppy Straw Hat (Forever 21, $15)
If you feel a little awkward about trying out this hat style, pool-side is the perfect place to get comfy. Even better, wear one while you sit on your patio at home before you decide to wear it in public if you don’t have a pool.
4. A floppy hat can dress up a casual outfit, like the classic white jeans + chambray shirt
5. A hat can also really pull a dressier outfit together
6. For a comfy, cool outfit, wear a hat with a summer caftan and shorts
7. You can’t go wrong wearing one with a maxi dress
8. Wear a colorful hat to add a pop of color to a monochrome outfit
9. And no, you don’t have to have long hair to look great in a floppy hat
10. They also look great with short hair and hair tucked up underneath
11. Don’t worry if it’s super-duper floppy — that’s the point
12. But if super floppy is not your thing, try a cool Panama hat
Oversized Nubby Panama Hat (Urban Outfitters, $39)
13. Remember, hats can frame and flatter your face
BCBGeneration Ombred Floppy Hat (Macy’s, $32)