It looks like the gods are playing a prank on us today because they have answered our prayers for more time, but they’re just giving us a measly extra second.
That’s right. At 9.59 a.m. AEST, there was an extra second in the minute in order for the super-strict timekeepers to align their clocks to the earth’s rotation.
It’s called a leap second, and people have been taking to Twitter, as you do, to share how they busied themselves with that all-important extra second.
1. The leap second made some go hopping mad
— PETA: Turkeys are killed at 6mo, don’t eat babies (@peta) June 30, 2015
2. Others wasted their leap second completely
@lipstysalter It's fine, there's a…. Damn that leap second went quick….
— i, Coomber O+ (@iCoomber) June 30, 2015
3. A few smart people used the leap second to catch some extra Zs
Night all,enjoy your extra second of sleep #leapsecond
— Deirdre Kenny (@DeirdreKKenny) June 30, 2015
4. Of course, a leap second is as good a time as ever to take a selfie
Right. Who’s up for the leap second selfie? Post a pic of yourself doing something unusual at 11:59:60 today! #leapsecondselfie
— Ian Griffin (@iangriffin) June 30, 2015
5. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner stayed married for that one extra second, too
Ben Affleck & Jennifer Garner will be forced to stay married an extra #LeapSecond
— ChicagoShaun (Ex-GOP)🇺🇸 (@ChicagoShaun) June 30, 2015
6. Tech heads were on standby for computer crashes
— Andreas Peetz⭕ (@VFrontDe) June 11, 2015
7. For some, though, the extra second was just enough time to put the finishing touches on their art projects
— Vintage Books (@vintagebooks) June 30, 2015
8. The Food Network spent their leap second eating cheese
— Food Network (@FoodNetwork) June 30, 2015
9. Some took the leap second literally
10. Others got a bit contemplative about it all
— JCPenney (@jcpenney) June 30, 2015
11. While some people just needed to cut the earth some slack
Instead of adding a leap second we should be correcting the speed of the Earth's rotation. This is just laziness.
— Bored Elon Musk (@BoredElonMusk) June 30, 2015
Mostly, though, people didn’t know when the heck the leap second was
Missed the leap-second. 🙁
— Eliot Andersen (@EliotAndersen) June 30, 2015
Well, that's a leap second of my life I'll not get back again.
— Brian Bilston (@brian_bilston) June 30, 2015
What did you do with your extra second? I learnt Italian. Ciao, bellas!