It looks like the gods are playing a prank on us today because they have answered our prayers for more time, but they’re just giving us a measly extra second.
That’s right. At 9.59 a.m. AEST, there was an extra second in the minute in order for the super-strict timekeepers to align their clocks to the earth’s rotation.
It’s called a leap second, and people have been taking to Twitter, as you do, to share how they busied themselves with that all-important extra second.
1. The leap second made some go hopping mad
— PETA: Turkeys are killed at 6mo, don’t eat babies (@peta) June 30, 2015
2. Others wasted their leap second completely
@lipstysalter It's fine, there's a…. Damn that leap second went quick….
— i, Coomber O+ (@iCoomber) June 30, 2015
3. A few smart people used the leap second to catch some extra Zs
Night all,enjoy your extra second of sleep #leapsecond
— Deirdre Kenny (@DeirdreKKenny) June 30, 2015
4. Of course, a leap second is as good a time as ever to take a selfie
Right. Who’s up for the leap second selfie? Post a pic of yourself doing something unusual at 11:59:60 today! #leapsecondselfie
— Ian Griffin (@iangriffin) June 30, 2015
5. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner stayed married for that one extra second, too
Ben Affleck & Jennifer Garner will be forced to stay married an extra #LeapSecond
— ChicagoShaun (Ex-GOP)🇺🇸 (@ChicagoShaun) June 30, 2015
6. Tech heads were on standby for computer crashes
— Andreas Peetz⭕ (@VFrontDe) June 11, 2015
7. For some, though, the extra second was just enough time to put the finishing touches on their art projects
— Vintage Books (@vintagebooks) June 30, 2015
8. The Food Network spent their leap second eating cheese
— Food Network (@FoodNetwork) June 30, 2015
9. Some took the leap second literally
10. Others got a bit contemplative about it all
— JCPenney (@jcpenney) June 30, 2015
11. While some people just needed to cut the earth some slack
Instead of adding a leap second we should be correcting the speed of the Earth's rotation. This is just laziness.
— Bored Elon Musk (@BoredElonMusk) June 30, 2015
Mostly, though, people didn’t know when the heck the leap second was
Missed the leap-second. 🙁
— Eliot Andersen (@EliotAndersen) June 30, 2015
Well, that's a leap second of my life I'll not get back again.
— Brian Bilston (@brian_bilston) June 30, 2015
What did you do with your extra second? I learnt Italian. Ciao, bellas!
More from SheKnows
10 Hot guys with cats who can stop the crazy cat lady stereotype
Not sure what to watch on Netflix? We’ll help you decide
Lessons we can learn from the wellness blogger who lied about having cancer