Create a holiday to remember by planning your vacation around your family’s favourite hobbies. Whether it’s sport and fitness, food or even shopping, there’s an Australian road trip your whole family will love.
The key to creating a family holiday that has everyone excited is to incorporate the things that you all have a mutual interest in. From there, you can find activities for everyone — for example, you can incorporate your love for tennis, golf, hiking or even music.
Whether your family is into adventurous activities or the arts, you can plan your whole trip around one shared love. We know it can be hard to find one passion in a family of individuals, so consider these questions to create a fabulous family road trip:
- What do you and the kids love to do together on a weekend?
- What do you most talk about as a family, e.g. the latest footy scores or the latest episode of MasterChef?
- What activities are appropriate based on your children’s ages?
- How far do you want to travel?
- How long do you want to go for?
- How many stops do you want to make?
- What is your budget?
Here are some ideas to get you started.
- National Sports Museum in Melbourne
- A cricket-themed tour of the MCG
- The Australian Racing Museum
- Tour Sydney Olympic Park
- Watch the State of Origin
Image: Nicki Mannix/Flickr
- Sydney: Westfield Bondi Junction, Strand Arcade, Pitt Street Mall
- Melbourne: Chapel Street, Chadstone Shopping Centre, Harbour Town Docklands
- Adelaide: Rundle Mall, Myer Centre, Westfield Marion
- Brisbane: Wintergarden at Queen Street Mall, Indooroopilly Shopping Centre, Brisbane Direct Factory Outlets
“How is it made?” factory tours
Image: Vernon Fowler/Flickr
- Haigh’s Chocolates
- The Maton Guitar Factory
- Malanda Dairy Centre
- The Ginger Factory
- The Macadamia Castle
- In Brisbane: James Street Cooking School
- On the Sunshine Coast: Spirit House Cooking School
- In Coffs Harbour: The Cheese Making Workshop
- In Sydney: Sydney Fish Markets
Image: Hadi Zaher/Flickr
- The Blue Mountains in NSW
- Whitewater rafting at Penrith
- Hike around Wilsons Promontory National Park
- Snowboard at Mount Hotham