Now that the New Year celebrations are over you might be wondering what to do with that leftover champagne. If your liver is begging you not to drink it, why not give your skin something to celebrate instead?
Celebrate your skin with a DIY champagne facial
Chances are you’ve got a bit of champagne left over from your New Year’s Eve celebrations so why not put it to good use? Grapes are full of skin-loving antioxidants that have anti-imflammatory effects on your skin. Like red wine, champagne contains high levels of polyphenols — a kind of antioxidant — and is packed full of a specific form of polyphenol that has been shown to protect nerve cells from injury.
Champagne also packs a vitamin punch with more vitamin C and E than you will find in your regular beauty products. This helps protect the skin’s vital collagen and elastin from environmental free radicals and oxidative stress.
Great for wrinkles and for evening out your skin tone, a champagne facial is the perfect way to get your skin looking bright and bubbly. Combined with a few vitamin-packed fruits, a champagne facial will have you ready for the new year in no time.
- Chilled champagne or sparkling wine
- Cotton balls
- First, cleanse your skin. Once you have removed any makeup take a few cotton balls soaked in chilled champagne and wipe them over your face to cleanse and tone your skin.
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1/2 ripe avocado (look for a dark avocado that is soft to touch)
- 1/4 cup of chilled champagne or sparkling wine
- Take half a banana and half an avocado. Mash them in a medium-sized bowl until they are combined well and smooth. You can use either a fork or a food processor to do this.
- Pour 1/4 cup of champagne into the bowl and mix until combined well. The bubbles should make the mixture nice and light.
- Smooth the mixture over your face, neck and décolletage — avoiding your eyes, nose and mouth — and leave for 15–20 minutes.
- Remove the mask by wiping upwards with a warm, damp wash cloth. Apply your favourite moisturiser and revel in your lush, glowing skin.
More skin saves
Get glowing summer skin
Caring for sensitive skin
5 Oils for beautiful skin