We’re all aware of the benefits of eating organic fruit and vegetables and free-range eggs, but there’s one area of our homes which is often overlooked when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle: what we sleep on.
A step too far?
Perhaps not. Here are some interesting facts that might make you rethink the contents of your linen cupboard:
- Easy-care non-iron sheets contain formaldehyde resin, which breaks down over time. The formaldehyde is then released as a vapour, which we breathe in when we sleep.
- Many mattresses contain polyurethane foam which “off-gasses” for years.
- We spend one third of our lives in bed.
The easiest way to create a healthier bedroom for you and your family is to gradually introduce organic cotton sheets and mattress toppers into your supply of bed linen. By taking this simple measure, you will create a protective layer between you and your mattress. Alternatively, choose an organic wool topper. Not only is wool hypoallergenic, it will help regulate your body’s temperature, whilst aiding a comfortable night’s sleep.
There are many reputable companies who source their cotton and wool products from eco-friendly suppliers. Here are two forward-thinking companies that make the grade:
- Fou Furnishings, based on the outskirts of Glasgow, pride themselves on being one of the few U.K. linen companies certified to the stringent standards required by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). One of their best-selling products is a Devon Duvet. Ideal for kids who suffer from allergies, the wool interior of a Devon Duvet provides resistance to dust mites whilst offering a chemical-free environment for your sleeping child.
- The Fine Cotton Company source their organic cotton from factories that have been endorsed with the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Certification: a standard which guarantees that textile products “are free from harmful levels of more than 100 substances known to be detrimental to human health.” Check out their Milan Organic Duvet Cover Collection, a stylish start to your fabulously healthy sleeping regime.