What to do in Phoenix, Arizona while visiting for Super Bowl XLIX
Super Bowl XLIX is just around the corner, and if you're traveling to the big game, you're probably wondering what else you can do while you're in Phoenix, Arizona. And who better to tell you than SheKnows? We're local! So consider this your ultimate guide for your visit to our sunny state.
The best places to eat:
Where you'll find an unbeatable atmosphere:
- Donovan's Steakhouse (Fancy, shmancy atmosphere and prices to prove it.)
- Nook (Try the Affagato dessert — it's seriously to die for.)
- Orange Sky
- Southern Rail
- T Cook's @ the Royal Palms
- The Arrogant Butcher
- The Beverly (In Old Town Scottsdale. Has a speak-easy feel and some strong whiskey drinks.)
- The Henry
- The VIG
- The Winsor
- The Yard / The Culinary Dropout (A local favorite that gets super-packed, but has a great cover band, games and good seafood — which can be tough to find in Arizona.)
- Tuck Shop
- Quiessence at the Farm
Great places to grab a beer:
- Angel's Trumpet House
- El Hefe (In Scottsdale and Tempe. If you hate packed crowds, don't go here. If you like beergaritas the size of your head, then going here is a must.)
- Hanny's (A loungy bar in downtown Phoenix with a swanky feel and really cool bathrooms. OK, that's weird. But, seriously, you have to see them!)
- Kelly's (An upscale sports bar in Old Town Scottsdale. Has darts and pool tables, but no dancing. Well, no dance floor.)
- OHSO Brewery (The Arcadia location has a pet-friendly patio.)
- The Bikini Lounge (Not what you think, we promise. It's the oldest bar in Phoenix with a Tiki lounge theme. Sort of like, "Cheers meets Fantasy Island.")
- The Duce (A fun little bar that has dancing, karaoke and games like cornhole, a real boxing ring, etc. They also serve a personal size peach pie, which is random, and awesome.)
- The King (In Old Town Scottsdale. If you're brave, try the $1 Bingo Shot. They spin the machine, and whatever ball you get determines the shot you take. It's a fun way to drink for cheap and have the worst hangover of our life the next day.)
- The Lost Leaf (A little house that was turned into a bar/music venue. They only serve beer and wine, but it's like a cozy little gallery.)
Where you'll find the best tacos in town:
- Blanco Tacos & Tequila
- El Chorro
- La Santisima Gourmet Taco Shop
- Leñero Mexican Grill
- Joyride Taco House
- Tee Pee Mexican Food
Awesome things to do while you're here:
Visit Mill Avenue
For those looking to hang with the college-age crowds, we'd suggest heading down to Mill Avenue in Tempe. With it's close proximity to Arizona State University, the bars, restaurants and shops are always filled with a fun crowd.
Visit the Roosevelt Row Arts District
Known for its arts and cultural events, Roosevelt Row is a great place to visit in the heart of downtown Phoenix.
Shop til' you drop
Attend the 2015 Glendale Chocolate Affaire
There's not much we need to say to really sell the Glendale Chocolate Affaire. What more do you need to know? Chocolate. Chocolate. Chocolate. Everywhere. If you're a chocolate lover, don't miss this event January 30th-31st.
Attend the 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open
If you love golf, don't miss out on the Waste Management Phoenix Open. OK, OK. It happens to be on Super Bowl weekend, but there are practice rounds and opening rounds beginning as early as Tuesday, January 27th.
Perfect your swing at Top Golf
If you can't make it to the Phoenix Open, then at least swing by Top Golf, a fancy driving range out in Scottsdale.
Party at Westgate
Calling all party animals! At Westgate you'll find pre-parties, concerts, shopping, photo exhibits, dining and much more.
Cool tourist attractions that are nearby:
Take the kids for a quick drive to out to Scottsdale to visit this one-of-a-kind butterfly atrium. Afterwards, swing by to say hello to the SheKnows staff near the Kierland Commons.
Desert Botanical Gardens
Explore this 140-acre garden in the heart of the desert, filled with plant displays and walking trails. The weather is perfect to enjoy this attraction, and there is always something in bloom.
Spend time in Cave Creek
A fun place to take the family for a taste of the old southwest. Here you'll find Frontier Town, great shops, parks, galleries and restaurants (we recommend the Buffalo Chip Saloon, and Harold's Corral).
Tour Talieson West
Image: Wikimedia Commons
One of Frank Lloyd Wright's many legacies, Talieson West is a gem of the desert. Located in the McDowell Mountains in northeast Scottsdale, the site is a National Historic Landmark and offers public tours through one of the famous architect's most memorable structures.
Enjoy your stay in Phoenix!