Cook the perfect steak
There’s no reason cooking meat should be the man’s domain. You can be the queen of the barbecue or the pan-fried steak with a little help from one of the world’s most renowned chefs, Gordon Ramsay.
Tips for the perfect steak
- Take steaks out of the fridge 20 minutes before you start cooking.
- Season first with large grains of pepper for a little bit of heat.
- A hot pan is the secret to searing steaks, so add a splash of olive oil, and heat your pan.
- Sizzle the steaks for 30 seconds on each side before flipping them.
- Add crushed garlic and a few sprigs of thyme.
- Turn the steaks every minute to ensure they cook evenly.
- Add a few knobs of butter, and tilt the pan to baste the steaks.
- To know when they’re cooked without cutting them with a knife, press the palm of your hand — that’s what a rare steak feels like. For a medium steak, press the heel of your palm, and for well done, it should feel like the top of your wrist.