Defend yourself if you’re attacked
Sorry, girl, but watching The Karate Kid and using the grasshopper move is not going to deter any predator. You need to be prepared by stashing a few things you can use as weapons in your handbag, and if you can’t access your bag, then know a few basic self-defence moves.
What you’ll need in your handbag
- A can of beans or any other can that will be heavy enough to stop an attacker in his tracks if you wallop him with your handbag.
- A can of pepper spray or hairspray that can be used to temporarily blind a person, giving you a few extra seconds to make a run for it.
What you can do to protect yourself
- The most powerful defence is your voice: Say no, scream as loud as you can, yell for help, etc.
- Hold your car keys between your fingers so you can use the pointy ends of the keys to jab an attacker in the eye.
- Turn your iPod music down or off, and avoid talking on your mobile phone or rifling through your handbag. Pay attention to your surroundings.
- If you find yourself alone with someone who makes you uncomfortable, make direct eye contact, and initiate conversation. You’re less likely to be attacked by a stranger if they know you can identify them.
- Enroll in a self-defence class, or watch YouTube instructional videos, and practice on a friend.