They might not look like much when they’re hanging up your laundry, but clothespins have tons of Christmassy potential. Here’s how you can turn yours into an adorable Advent calendar.
The Advent calendar came from humble beginnings. In the early 19th century, it was nothing more than 24 dashes of chalk marked on a door to help count down the days till Christmas. Luckily for you, these days a few more bells and whistles are involved. Snacks, treats and little presents help to make the wait for Christmas even more exciting, and the Advent calendars themselves have evolved into all shapes and sizes — like, for example, this DIY clothespin-and-washi-tape Advent calendar, which turns ordinary laundry trappings into Christmas countdown fun.
- 24 wooden clothespins
- Washi tape in 4 colours
- 21 x 30-centimetre picture frame
- White or ivory paint
- Black paint
- Hot glue gun (or strong glue)
- Treats for the calendar
1. Paint the clothespins and the back part of the frame white.
2. Alternating between colours, cover one side of each clothespin with a strip of washi tape.
3. Clip the corners, and then fold the tape over so that it sticks down flawlessly.
4. Once all the clothespins are finished, lay them out on the picture frame in the shape of a Christmas tree. Make sure you leave enough space between the clothespins for any presents or treats you wish to have.
5. Once you’re happy with the placement of your clothespins, use the hot glue gun to stick them down.
6. Using the black paint, number the clothespins from 1 to 24 to represent the days until Christmas.
7. Now pin down your Advent calendar surprises, and let the countdown begin!
Want more Christmas fun? Try these great family activities for the holidays >>
More Christmas ideas
Decorating your first Christmas tree: Styles to consider
Surprising ways to decorate with Christmas ornaments
Modern Christmas decor
Leave a Comment