A poll conducted by Ipsos Reid discovered that Canadians spend more than $8.9 billion a year on their pampered pooches and pussycats. With pet birthday parties, doggie day care and extravagant designer product sales on the rise, nothing is too good for our pets. We’ve searched out some of the most extravagant ways committed cat ladies and dedicated dog owners can spoil their four-legged friends.
treats for your four-legged furry friends
Lavish pet palaces
Being in the doghouse with your partner wouldn’t be so bad if your dog slept in five-star style. Did you know you can purchase doghouses with built-in air conditioning and heating? Say goodbye to those cane baskets, pet beanbags and old bathroom towels on the floor. Your dog will love his new sleeping quarters, provided he’s not a “chewer” or the type to destroy his bedding in five seconds flat.
- The Iconic Eiffel Tower customized pet house: Bedazzled with Swarovski crystals, this majestic pet palace (beyondthecrate.com, from $10,000) can be enclosed with glass, include air conditioning and be either downsized or made bigger.
- Precious Palaces Pagoda pet bed: Detailed with raspberry-and-gold brocade, this Southeast Asia-inspired pet bed (beyondthecrate.com, $3,103) is further embellished with tie-back tassels and golden wooden bells.
- Celebrity Brick Estate doghouse: Available extras for this luxury doghouse (beyondthecrate.com, $25,000) include running water, lighting, air conditioning and heat.
Designer scents for pets
- Pucci: No longer does your best friend have to smell like old bones or a wet cat. He’ll be the best-smelling pooch or puss on the block with this designer pet cologne (franksonlinepets.com, $9) — your pet’s equivalent to Gucci.
- Timmy Holedigger: This fashion doggie fragrance (amazon.com, $10) is the closest thing to Tommy Hilfiger your pampered pooch is going to get. It’s perfect for keeping your pet smelling lovely between baths.
- Arfmani: Here’s a long-lasting pooch fragrance (amazon.com, $11) designed to smell just like the designer brand Armani’s.
Holiday destinations for pets
- Country Club Pet Resort, Calgary, Alberta: This lush 20-acre facility is the largest of its kind in Canada for your pampered pet. Themed rooms are available, as are morning and afternoon treats, a natural-water swimming pond for summer months, an indoor playroom, calming night lights, stereo music 24 hours a day, 25 penthouses with private balconies for cats and indoor roaming space. Boarding for dogs starts at $32 a day and goes up depending on the size of your dog, and a penthouse for your cat costs $20 a day. Walks, grooming and VIP treatment are extra.
- PetSmart PetsHotels: All suites are furnished with raised cots and TVs tuned to pet-themed shows, and the hotels have “bone booths,” which you can call and get updates on your fur baby. The staff will even put your pet on the phone so you can talk to them. Check for locations all across Canada. Prices vary depending on pet needs.
Psychic readings for pets
Yes, it’s true. You can now get psychic readings about your pet to find out what your cat or dog is really thinking. Is your feline angry about the lack of proper respect he gets from his human family, recovering from a near-death experience or grumpy because the mother-in-law is visiting? A 90-minute session will cost around $138.
Indoor gym equipment for cats
If your cat constantly sleeps or excessively grooms, there’s a fairly good chance it’s done out of boredom. That’s right; your furry friend needs stimulation. You can capture your cat’s interest with a climbing structure. He will have a field day exploring these climbing structures designed to keep cats active. A little encouragement might be required, so try hiding one of his favourite treats at the top.
- Purrwoood Forest multi-level cat sanctuary (catsplay.com, $1,099)
- Cat Castle modular cat playground (catsplay.com, $499)
Designer label clothing and accessories for pets
Aside from reasons of social status and to mimic their favourite celebrity, people buy designer labels for their pets because they associate the designer with high quality. Opting for brand names will allow you to colour coordinate your handbag and dog so you both look fabulous in public.
- Ralph Lauren leather dog carrier (ralphlauren.com, $1,950)
- Couture party dress for dogs, complete with ice cream tutu (poshpuppyboutique.com, $195)
Organic treats and dog bakeries
For the pooch with an expensive palate, organic treats can be the ticket to good health and a longer life. These treats contain no nasty fillers, preservatives or colourants, and they’re safer to feed your beloved pet than is human food.
- Kobe beef and truffle jerky treats (organicpetboutique.com, $1,000)
- Whole Life pure chicken treats (organicpetboutique.com, $90)
- Doggie dipped delights (thebarkery.ca, $6 for two)
Could you be killing your pet with human food? >>
Other accessories for the our feline friends
Having kitty litter in the laundry room or near the back door can be unsightly, so a litter cabinet is a great way to contain those odours that can otherwise waft through your home (plus, your kitty can poop in privacy). A window bed is a fabulous place for puss to stretch out (and not leave fur all over the sofa), while a designer food and water server means your cat can dine in high style.
- Designer litter cabinet (fivepetplace.com, from $475)
- Comfy window bed (fivepetplace.com, from $425)
- Chic food and water server (fivepetplace.com, from $195)