This year on Father’s Day, give the dad in your life something he really wants: the gift of golf! Whether he’s a weekend-only beginner or a full-out golfer who hits the links every chance he gets, there is undoubtedly a golf-themed gift he’s sure to enjoy. Read on for great golf gift ideas.
Golf is both a sport and a game, both a hobby and an addiction. But whatever it is to the dad in your life, he’ll be sure to appreciate a golf gift this Father’s Day! Take a cue from this list of golf-dad personalities. Whether he fits into one category or maybe more, here are some gift suggestions.
The part-time golfer
As much as this dad loves the game, he’s not fanatical about it. He’s generally happy just to be playing on weekends or as a social activity with friends or a league. While he wants to improve and play a good game, he usually doesn’t put too much stock into the score. If this sounds a bit like the dad in your life, why not treat him to one of these:
- A coupon book. These are readily available at Golf Town and offer great golfing incentives, such as two-for-one green fees and player discounts.
- A golf shirt or two. Keep him comfortable and up to the dress code with a collared golf shirt. Sport Chek/Nevada Bob’s has a full selection.
- Help him find lost balls and improve his score with golf ball finder glasses. Tesco Shopping will ship these to Canada.
- A gift certificate for a round and a golf car rental from his favourite course.
The social golfer
This golfer, also known as the “Who’s up for a round of drinks after?” golfer, takes his love for socializing to the course. He still enjoys the game, but he is always the first to sign up for fun golf tournaments and loves to plan a game of golf as a network opportunity with business associates. If your golfer likes the “19th hole” as much as the the first 18 on the course, then these gifts might be for him:
- This golfer likes to look good on the course. Trendygolf.com has cool golf clothes ideas.
- Personalized golf balls. Whether for his own use or to hand out to friends or work colleagues, this gift is fun and different.
- A golf cooler bag to keep his beverages chilled for the whole 18.
- An electronic drink caddy like one from Golfsmith.com. As much of a conversation starter as it is practical, the social golfer is bound to love it.
The extreme golfer
This golfer is a player! Every time he hits the links, he’s tweaking his game to knock off a stroke wherever he can. He’s likely to head out for a game a few times a week during the season, and when he’s not playing, is apt to be watching a televised broadcast of whatever tournament is on that week. Consider one of these gifts for the dad who is an ardent golf fan:
- A range finder such as this one from Callaway at SportChek/Nevada Bob’s Golf. Every stroke counts to the serious golfer, and this gadget can help track distances on the course for optimum play.
- An indoor practice putting green. Perfect for practice when he can’t get out to the real putting green.
- An indoor golf simulator. Dancin Dogg Golf is available at Golf Town and offers the golfer a 3-D golf experience with swing analysis, great for practice year-round.
- A new driver. The choice of driver is quite a personal one for the golf dad, so pay attention to his clues, and go from there. Two drivers to consider are the Nike VR_S Driver or a Callaway RAZR X Black driver.
More on gift giving
Be prepared: Stock a gift cabinet
Best gifts for a host
Best gift ideas for men: Under $25, under $100 and over $200