For many Canadians, the May long weekend heralds the first weekend of gardening season, while for others it’s a great time to start working on home improvement projects. What would you like to accomplish this weekend? Everyone has their own to-do list, but for some suggestions, read on for simple DIY ideas.
It’s finally here — the May long weekend! This is prime time to work on all of those DIY projects that have been put on the back burner all winter, so why not make some home improvement headway by checking off a project or two! Whether it’s a long weekend or just a day or two off work, here are some ideas for projects that are easy and fun to do, and that will help turn your home into the haven you deserve.
Summerize your yard
Now that we are fully into the warmer spring months, it’s a great time to spruce up your yard. Give your yard some TLC with these ideas:
- Get planting. Take a cue from the garden centres, whose busy summer season is kicked off on the May long weekend, and add some new life to your yard with plants. Add interest and shade to your yard by adding trees, create a beautiful landscape with flowers and plant a vegetable garden for fresh veggies to enjoy this summer.
- Create a relaxing and friendly backyard environment. Your yard is an extension of your home, so satisfy your inner weekend warrior by working on your outdoor living projects. Build a firepit, construct a gazebo sanctuary, create an outdoor kitchen or turn your patio into a great entertainment space.
Decorating and organizing solutions
For a quick home fix-up, a day or two is all you need to make a big difference. Take a day and focus on just one room or project, then take the rest of the weekend to enjoy the results.
- Add colour and style to your rooms. Try your hand at wallpapering or painting to brighten up your interior space.
- Reorganize your home. Everyone needs to reorganize at one time or another, so consider tackling the garage, mudroom, general clutter, kitchen and anywhere else that needs it.
- Decorate or create an inspired room. It might be time to revamp your master bedroom, create a playroom for your kids, pump up your living room or jazz up some other space on your to-do list, and a long weekend is the perfect time for the job!
Start tackling a renovation
A full-scale room or home renovation doesn’t happen overnight, but that shouldn’t stop you from getting started. Take the time on a weekend to start planning your ultimate home.
- Start slow. There are simple solutions to renovating your home, so try your hand at those, and then go from there.
- Make a plan. To be a successful and on-budget DIY expert, planning is half the battle! Consider your options, whether it’s a kitchen, a bathroom, a general reno such as a floor or any other idea you have, make a plan, and then get started this weekend!