So it’s time to sell your home. You know its true value, but does the potential buyer? Help ensure a quick sale and a maximum return on investment by staging it!
Staging is an easy way to spiff up your home for resale! You probably love your home the way it is, but for a quick resale and a good selling price, it’s imperative to pump it up a notch or two. That doesn’t always have to be an expensive venture; here are a few simple steps to staging your home.
Clean and clean again
One of the basic strategies of staging your home is to clean it up!
- Highlight the outdoors by washing all the windows inside and out.
- Pressure wash the siding, sidewalks, driveways and patios or decks.
- Keep mirrors, all appliances and home hardware such as faucets and door handles sparkling clean.
- Clean up all the nooks and crannies. From the floor to the ceiling, keep it all spic and span!
Clutter-free and neutral
When a potential buyer looks at your home, they want to envision themselves living there, not be reminded of the home’s past occupants. It will benefit you financially as well as in time expended to keep your home neutral while it’s on the market.
- Repaint your rooms and/or your entire home in a friendly, neutral colour. Yes, you may have loved your red dining room, but will your buyer? What about that bright orange bathroom? The blue-hued den? Personal colours can make your home comfortable for you but can sometimes be a turn-off to a buyer.
- Repair and repaint any damaged walls to update and give the home a crisp, clean look.
- Remove collectibles, knick-knacks and personal photos to create a neutral and unbiased decor.
- Consider using a self-serve storage facility to store excess furniture, toys, sports equipment, seasonal items, etc., to maintain a clutter-free residence.
- Organize all the closets and cupboards to look sleek and roomy.
- The kitchen is one of the most important rooms to buyers, so keep the counters clutter-free and the sink spotless and clear of any dishes. Clean out the fridge, and remove any cooking odors with a light touch of air freshener, or burn a scented candle in warming vanilla.
Set up the home
- Organize the seating and furniture in the entertaining areas to maximize space and create comfy vignettes.
- Create a focus on stand-out features, such as a wonderful view or a beautiful fireplace.
- Open all the drapes and blinds to allow the sunshine in. Open a few windows so the fresh air can penetrate your home.
- Empty all waste baskets.
- Put away all personal grooming items.
- Make the beds, tuck away the laundry and hang fresh towels.
- Mow the lawn and trim all the trees and plants (inside and out).
- Repaint the deck, shed and fence if necessary.