Ah, the master bedroom. Your own peaceful sanctuary to retreat to at the end of a chaotic day. Or is it? If not, help create the master bedroom you’ve always dreamed of with these ideas.
Take time to recharge your soul and create a hidden oasis for you to enjoy. Use these tips to create the ultimate mom’s escape.
Cut the clutter
If your room is being overtaken by kids toys or piles of laundry, this is the first step to creating your relaxing oasis. Don’t let clutter interfere with your calm; take care of it regularly.
- Clear away everything that doesn’t belong in your sanctuary. Toys, electronics or your home office should be placed elsewhere.
- Keep laundry piles at bay by giving each room their own laundry hamper and by putting away the laundry as soon as it’s folded.
Tackle the closet
Tired of fighting with a closet that’s bursting at the seams? Are you frustrated when you know that other black pump is in there but you just can’t seem to find it? That’s not part of the serene experience you want in your master bedroom, so it might be time to re-vamp your closet.
- Go through your wardrobe and purge everything that doesn’t fit or that you haven’t worn in a year or so.
- Purchase matching hangers and hang your clothes by colour or style.
- Add hooks to keep track of your scarves and belts.
- Use a shoe organizer to keep pairs together and make them easy to find.
- Only put away clean clothes. Put everything else in the hamper.
Create an ambiance
Help create a soothing environment with the use of lighting.
- Whenever possible, use low-wattage bulbs to warm your space. Avoid the use of blue-hued energy-efficient bulbs and opt for the softer yellow-hued types instead.
- Place lighting around your bedroom walls instead of using only the standard overhead light.
- Use candles to create an inviting ambiance.
- Open the blinds or drapes to allow the natural light in.
Use colour to define your space
Calm your body and spirit with colour. Certain colours will evoke an emotional response, so choose the colour of your room wisely.
- Stay away from stimulating colours such as bright yellow or orange.
- Red is another colour that can stimulate all of your emotions, including passion, so use in moderation unless you want to create a high-energy room.
- Add serenity to your retreat by choosing shades of blue, green, violet or turquoise. These colours have a tendency to be calming and purifying.
Pull it all together
Take a few minutes every day to make the bed, open a window to let the fresh air and sunlight in and otherwise maintain your personal tranquil space. Life is busy and can get out of hand quickly, so be proactive in creating a place of solitude, rejuvenation and relaxation — also known as your master bedroom.