The Academy Awards are an exciting night for film and, of course, fashion and beauty. And the most fun way to watch them? With friends. Here are some ways to make your Oscar party a runaway hit.
Starting with the red carpet coverage, you’re in for many hours of television on Oscars night. So gather your friends, prep some food and beverages for sustenance and let the festivities begin. Having some company will help time pass faster through the less interesting categories, after all!
You simply can’t have an Oscars party without a red carpet. Roll out a red carpet (a red towel or throw rug can do in a pinch) and have someone working the red carpet à la Guiliana Rancic. Ask your guests to dress up in red-carpet gowns (they can always bring comfy apparel to change into for the long evening ahead) and take turns as Joan Rivers critiquing one another’s outfit choices — all in good fun, of course.
Pick up mini bottles of sparkling wine and some toy statuettes or trophies (check your dollar store) as prizes for your guests: for best dressed, best hair, best makeup, best acceptance speech, etc.
For beverages, you can’t go wrong with sparkling wine as an easy and chic choice. Or, take inspiration from some of the nominated movies. Perhaps a southern-inspired cocktail such as this recipe for alcoholic sweet tea (sweetened iced tea) as a nod to The Help; a mix of beers for Moneyball; or, a French martini for Midnight in Paris.
As for food, you want to keep things bite-sized — so that the food is easy to eat in front of the TV. Keeping with the theme of getting inspired by the settings of the nominated films, consider:
- hot dogs, corndogs, peanuts, french fries and pizza, inspired by Moneyball
- a Southern-inspired menu, including crab cakes, inspired by The Help
- New York staples (the Big Apple being the setting of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close) such as bagels, cream cheese and lox, mini pizzas and one-bite cheesecake treats
- a French menu inspired by Midnight in Paris: Try an array of French cheeses, tartlets, pate, gougeres
Or, if sticking to a theme feels too rigid, here are some party favourites that are sure to please just about everyone on your guest list:
- sushi — get your guests in on the fun and have them help you roll the sushi
- a charcuterie board
- a baked brie wheel in pastry
- a grilled veggie platter
- chicken satay with peanut sauce