Mould and mildew spores are everywhere, especially in a warm moist environment like a bathroom. Here are some helpful tips to prevent the growth of mould and mildew in your bathroom.
Mould and mildew growth can be an unhealthy and unpleasant problem in your bathroom. Keep it under control by preventing it in the first place with these easy tips.
Mould and mildew love the dark, so lighten up
- Open the blinds in the bathroom to let the natural light in.
- Use energy-efficient lightbulbs so you can leave the lights on for a short while after showering.
Ensure proper air circulation and good ventilation
- Open the windows whenever possible to let in fresh air.
- Keep the bathroom door open when privacy isn’t an issue.
- Use the bathroom fan during showering or bathing, as well as up to thirty minutes after to help draw excess moisture out of the air.
Keep things dry
- Rinse sinks, bathtubs and showers after use. After showering, squeegee off shower walls.
- Hang bathroom mats to dry after each use and wash them often.
- Avoid leaving wet towels on the floor or in the bathroom hamper. Hang them to dry immediately after use and wash them frequently. If towels start to smell musty, add some white vinegar to the wash to kill the mould spores.
- Towel dry hard surfaces, such as the floors and counter tops. The less moisture in your bathroom, the better when it comes to mould and mildew prevention.
- Seal tubs and sinks tightly to prevent leaks into walls or under floors. Watch for loose shower tiles and regrout and seal when necessary.
- Fix leaky faucets and watch for water leaks in the plumbing.
Keep the humidity in check
- A moist environment is key to mould and mildew growth, so watch the humidity in your home. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, humidity levels should be kept between 40 and 60 per cent. Use a humidity reader to moniter your home and reduce the humidity by using a dehumidifier, if necessary.
Stop mould in its tracks
- Use a mildew-resistant shower curtain or liner. This will help keep your shower fresh and free of mould, mildew and bacteria.
- Use mould and mildew killing products when cleaning your bathroom. Be proactive, whether you see any build-up or not.
- Remove any sign of mould or mildew immediately.