The temperatures have begun to drop, the leaves are changing colour, and Canadian women are ready to start busting out fall’s hottest trends. There is a lot of versatility on offer in fall fashion this year, so what are the dos and don’ts of wearing the latest fall fashions successfully? SheKnows Canada has some great tips on how to wear [and how not to wear] five of fall’s hottest trends!
Mad for plaid
Plaid tunic tops are one of fall’s hottest trends!
- Don’t go wearing the boyfriend’s square-shaped man shirt from the nineties, instead, opt for one that is tailored slightly to fit the curves of a woman.
- Do select shades of plaid that are flattering to your complexion.
- Do dress up plaid shirts by wearing them belted, with high heels, or with feminine accessories or detailing.
Skirt the issue
Skirts this fall are fuller, with hems falling at more modest lengths!
- Do wear them with cutout platform sandal-type heels or with ankle boots – the higher the better!
- Do pair them with form-fitting tank tops or cropped tops.
- Don’t overdo it by wearing blouses or tops with voluminous sleeves.
One of the hottest fall trends is wearing white – after Labour Day!
- Do wear white blazers, coats, and boots to accentuate darker-hued outfits.
- Do choose whites in heavier materials and textures appropriate to the season such as wool and leather.
- Don’t break out the summer-weight whites such as linen.
Riding boots are hot this fall and match up well with some other trendy styles.
- Do wear them with skinny pants – casual and chic!
- Do match them with dresses and skirts with hems above the knee or higher.
- Don’t wear riding boots with a skirt so long that it covers the top of the boots – unflattering.
- Don’t choose riding boots that do not fit snuggly against the leg – they are meant to be form-fitting.
Orange ya’ glad
Incorporating the colour orange is one of fall’s hottest trendy looks.
- Do use one piece in orange to ‘pop’ against colors such as black.
- Do wear orange to transform otherwise conservative outfits into a more trendy look.
- Don’t wear orange fashions which are not tailored or do not fit well.
- Don’t forget a splash of orange to lift spirits
Metallics are a hot feature on runways for fall 2010!
- Do look for metallic pieces in gold this fall. Silver was also seen on the catwalks to a lesser degree.
- Do incorporate the metallic trend into your wardrobe with gold shoes, handbags, belts, gloves, or scarves.
- Do pair gold with khaki – one of fall’s hottest trends!
- Don’t wear metallic outfits that accentuate figure flaws.
- Don’t choose metallics in cheap fabrics.
Complement your fall fashion with a make-up make-over