Movie-inspired knitting projects for your inner nerd
Did you catch that stylish knit cowl Katniss wore in Catching Fire? Totally cute, right? Do you know where you can get one? Well, if you are handy with some needles and yarn, you can knit your own.
Popular movies and literary classics have inspired knitting pattern books completely dedicated to a movie or novel. By far the most popular knitting-inspired book/movie has to be Harry Potter. There are so many Harry Potter-themed knits out there, it could take an average knitter years to recreate them all. If you are not a Harry Potter fan, no worries. Here are some popular movie-inspired pieces that are on my favorites list and the bloggers who have knitted them.
I currently have this cowl on my needles. Katniss was sporting the cozy wrap in Catching Fire. It’s sporty and very warm. This would make a perfect gift for a young adult or teen in your life (it’s OK if you make one for yourself, too). Get the Katniss cowl pattern here.
Hermione’s cable and bobble hat
I have knitted this hat in the past. It’s a cute and comfy hat styled after Hermione’s hat in The Prisoner of Azkaban. This hat does require a bit more skill to make, but it knits up fast. Here's the pattern.
Although I am not a Twilight fan, I do love these mittens! I love the simple cable detail and that the mittens are long. This has been on my to-knit list for a while. They look so warm. Get the pattern for Bella's mittens here.
Lizzie Bennet’s shawlette
I am a huge Jane Austen fan and absolutely adore Pride and Prejudice. This intricate shawl is on my list to knit as well. This pattern is in the moderate to difficult category. Get the pattern for Lizzie Bennet’s shawlette here.
Some honorable mentions
Here is a list of books with themes that range from literary classics to Star Wars that will pique your interests.
- Charmed Knits: For all the fans of the boy who lived, this book is packed with patterns of sweaters, scarves, mittens, hats and socks in the house colors of Hogwarts.
- Jane Austen Knits: Are you a Pride and Prejudice fan? Well, you are in luck. This booklet has knitting patterns inspired by all of Jane Austen’s heroines.
- Green Gables Knits: Who could resist the charm of that fiery redhead who made everyone want to read The Lady of Shalott and move to Prince Edward Island? These knits are inspired by the adventures of Anne Shirley.
- Vampire Knits: For those who prefer the dark side of knitwear, these patterns are inspired by styles a vampire might wear.
- Knits for Nerds: Knitting patterns by popular science fiction and fantasy culture, such as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.
If an entire collection of movie-themed knits is too much to digest all at once, check out Ravelry. This is a website dedicated to anything knitted and crocheted. Any knit that is popular, especially after a movie just came out, will be trending on the first page of this popular fiber arts website.