Braids are back (really, they never went out of style) and with summer here, it’s the perfect time to have fun with braided hairstyles. Lucky for you, we’ve got a little braid-spiration in the form of January Jones’ recent side plait. The Mad Men actress swept her locks into this pretty ‘do for a recent promotional event and paired the style with bold blue eyeliner and a colorblocked dress.
Loving January’s look? Recreate it at home with the help of Justine Piecuch, stylist at Salon Capri.
Get the look
“Leave it to January Jones to take [the] braid to a whole new level,” Justine says.
- For this look you’ll need about 18-inch wefts of hair (or longer if you’re really brave) and talented braiding skills.
- With the 18-inch weft of hair, make a 4-strand braid. Starting from either the left or right, make 4 sections. With the outer strand, weave under, over, under. Repeat starting on the opposite side. Secure with elastic and set aside.
- Next, divide your hair into 2 sections. To keep yourself organized, clip off the entire right section of your hair. Starting on the left, create a Dutch braid (aka outie). Instead of a regular braid you’ll be rotating the strands underneath. This will give more texture on top and really make the braid pop.
- Pick up pieces as you move toward the center base of your head just as you would with a French braid. Use a clip to hold this section into place while you do the other side. Once you’ve made a Dutch braid on the left, gather the 2 sides together and secure with an elastic at the base of your neck.
- Now add the 4-strand braid by pinning it into the other braids you have just secured. Loosely wrap any hair around where they meet to conceal any elastics. You can gently pull at some of the loops in the 4-strand to create more of a lived-in look and of course, let any loose pieces fall naturally along your face. Practice a few times if you’re wearing this to a big night out.