Get a few ingredients together to make your own luxurious DIY lemon-mint body butter. This body butter recipe combines fresh scents from essential oils, and the moisturizing properties of coconut oil and shea butter to smooth your skin.
The lemon essential oil in this body butter not only smells like springtime, but it is quite refreshing. Lemon oil is said to help maintain your concentration and alertness, too. Among a number of benefits (like its antibacterial properties), spearmint essential oil has a relaxing and cooling effect on your muscles — perfect for a body lotion, right?
This is a luxurious body butter that is simple to make using coconut oil (make sure it’s solidified: You can pop it in the fridge for a bit if you need to), shea butter, a bit of sweet almond oil and essential oils. Store the finished product in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. I make about eight ounces of this body butter (a little goes a long way), but you could easily double the recipe for more.
DIY lemon-mint body butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (make sure it is somewhat solidified)
- 3/4 tablespoon shea butter
- 1 drop sweet almond oil
- 10-12 drops lemon essential oil
- 3-5 drops spearmint essential oil
- Medium-sized glass bowl
- Electric hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Glass container with a lid
- Place the coconut oil, shea butter and sweet almond oil in a medium-sized bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to beat the ingredients for a few minutes to combine them. Add the essential oil and continue to mix for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the mixture becomes fluffy. Use the rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl, as needed.
- Transfer the body butter to a glass container with a lid. If you live in a warm environment, you may want to refrigerate the body butter so it doesn’t melt.