We asked three beauty experts to share some of the makeup and skin care items they’ll be stocking up on this holiday season.
Not sure what to add to your beauty bag this season? Take inspiration from some experts. Three beauty experts opened up their makeup kits to show us what they can’t live without for the holidays.
Chris McDonald, Chris McDonald Makeup
This season Chris McDonald is excited about a few makeup items she recommends also putting on your list of holiday makeup must-haves.
- Lipstick: Paint your pout with Chanel Rouge Allure in Envoûtante (chanel.com, $34). McDonald loves this plum shade for winter. “Dark plum lips are in for winter 2013, and this one is wearable with many skin tones and it’s not too dark,” she explains.
- Blush: Dior DiorSkin Shimmer Star in Rose Diamond (sephora.com, $45) is an easy way to add holiday shimmer. McDonald tells us that this will give you the perfect luminous glow. “It’s not high-beam like others and you can wear it on your cheekbones and your eyes.”
- Eyeliner: Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Crayon in all colors (marcjacobs.com, $25) offers a near fool-proof way to play up your eyes. This waterproof easy-to-apply liner comes in six great shades. “Finally, a long-wearing gel liner in an easier to use pencil. I love all the colors,” McDonald tells us.
- False lashes: Ardell Demi lashes #301 (crushcosmetics.com, $8) are affordable, easy to use and give your eyes a boost. “These are half strips so you get the pop your eyes needs, but no pro is needed to apply them,” notes McDonald.
- Color palette: Dior 5-Colour Designer All-In-One Artistry Palette in Smoky Design (sephora.com, $60) is a must for McDonald since smoky eyes are back this holiday. “This Christian Dior eyeshadow quad will give you what you need,” says McDonald. “It has an eyeliner, three shadows and a super fine sparky silver glitter.”
Tia Dantzler, celebrity makeup artist
Get gorgeous this holiday season with some suggestions from celebrity makeup artist and beauty expert Tia Dantzler.
- Baby oil: Johnson’s Baby Oil (drugstore.com, $3) is a must-have for Dantzler’s holiday makeup bag. “It’s the perfect eye makeup remover, as it’s gentle and has hypoallergenic properties so that it doesn’t irritate your skin,” she explains. “This is especially great for removing waterproof mascara and eyeliner.”
- Moisturizer: Using a moisturizer day and night is imperative to keep skin glowing and hydrated, especially in the winter and around the hectic holiday season. Dantzler uses Dermalogica Active Moist (ulta.com, $56), a lightweight formula with silk amino acids that both hydrate and improve skin texture.
- Lipstick: One lipstick that Dantzler will have in heavy rotation in her makeup bag is Tom Ford Beauty Violet Fatale (neimanmarcus.com, $49). “This deep purple lipstick will take center stage when paired with a flawless, clean face,” she recommends.
- Lip balm: A big fan of having multiple lip balms with her at all times, Dantzler’s favorite is Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm with SPF 25 (getjackblack.com, $8). “This lip balm conditions and protects against extreme conditions because it’s loaded with vitamin E, shea butter, avocado oil and green tea.”
- Tinted moisturizer: Create a light and flawless look this holiday with Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 (lauramercier.com, $43). “It’s super lightweight and makes you forget you’re even wearing anything on your skin,” says Dantzler. “It’s the perfect blend of skin care and makeup.”
Laura Geller, founder of Laura Geller Beauty
Makeup expert and founder of Laura Geller Beauty, Laura Geller shares her list of go-to holiday beauty must-haves with SheKnows.
- Primer: Primer is a must, especially during the holiday season when your makeup needs to last for hours through numerous events. Geller’s go-to is Laura Geller Beauty Spackle Under Make-Up Primer (laurageller.com, $27). “It resurfaces the look of your skin, allows makeup to lay down smoothly and extends the longevity of makeup applied overtop,” she explains.
- Brow marker: Since your brows are the framework for your face, Geller recommends having a brow marker in your holiday makeup kit. “Manicured brows pull the entire face together and make you appear polished.”
- Nail polish: Polished nails are your best accessory, says Geller, who doesn’t leave the house without a bottle of polish in a classic color. “For holiday this year, I’m loving essie in Shearling Darling (Essie, $9). It’s a burgundy red that will complement any look,” she tells us.
- Dry shampoo in travel-size bottle: Geller recommends toting Oribe’s Dry Texturizing Spray (Oribe, $20) in a travel-size bottle over the holidays. “It’s perfect for keeping hair looking full and lovely, all the way from work to an evening party.”
- Highlighter: A bit of highlighter blended into the high point of your cheekbones, brows or the inside corner of the eye (basically wherever you want to add dimension) helps enhance your holiday look, notes Geller. “It helps to play up your favorite features and imparts allover radiance to the face.”
- Floss: Nothing detracts from a perfect smile like food in your teeth, which is why Geller always makes sure to carry dental floss wherever she goes.